Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need certs for house calls?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:48 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Do I really need an A+ Cert for doing house calls? I'm not gonna pay for advertising so it don't matter if I wont get as much business. I have a job (not pc related) and will be going to college next year. However there arent even store jobs open, but I want to start getting exp. so I thought I'd start here. I could charge really low rates since I'm not certified... opinions and advice appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:38 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

It helps when you're with a client who is unsure of your ability to fix their machine, especially if they use the machine daily for business purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Unless I misunderstood the response I would have to disagree. I would not advise someone just starting out to do repairs on someone else’s PC unless they are really confident in their ability to fix issues such as networking, spy ware, etc.

I've beeb doing Desktop support for the last 6 years and home support for the last year. My reasoning for this, home issues are either really simple or difficult as hell depending on what you get. They are not like business machines where the problems tend to be the same because everything is nice and locked down. For home users it could be anything and 99% of the time they can’t tell you what they did because they honestly don’t know.

For those tough issues you could spend days trying to fix it since you are not able to devote all your time to their problem. If you get frustrated you can't really say to them I can't fix it b/c it does A) not look good but you wasted their time and B) you wasted yours.

Will you get easy ones like MS-Office does not want to open, sure, but you better make sure they have a legal copy before you reinstall it for them or tell them you can fix it. Two words…â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:47 pm 

Flipper wrote:
Unless I misunderstood the response

I said if the client was unsure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:08 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Flytrap7 wrote:
Flipper wrote:
Unless I misunderstood the response

I said if the client was unsure

I just read over you previous post and this is what I saw.

Flytrap7 wrote:
client who is unsure of your ability

I mean if I was unsure about the ability of the "Technician" I wouldn't want them to do anything to it.

Post subject: Re: Need certs for house calls?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:07 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

techgamer wrote:
Do I really need an A+ Cert for doing house calls? I'm not gonna pay for advertising so it don't matter if I wont get as much business. I have a job (not pc related) and will be going to college next year. However there arent even store jobs open, but I want to start getting exp. so I thought I'd start here. I could charge really low rates since I'm not certified... opinions and advice appreciated.

In a word, No.

But what you do need is experience. If you haven't been doing this for friends and family for a decent amount of time then you need to get some experience. I volunteered at a PC repair place on weekends before I started. Course that was a loooonnnngggg time ago.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:11 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Thanks for all the replies, I havent checked this post for awhile. I have been around PC's since 2nd grade and have built a few, and messed around with them w/ not much exp. before. I think I have enough exp. to work on someone elses PC. However I like the idea of volunteering for a repair shop first, not the volunteer part but the fact that if I can't fix it it's easy to say I can't do this since I'm: A) not being paid for it, B) at a business where I can hide behind the bossman if something goes wrong or where I'm not as "on the spot" to get the job done. I know enough after being around forums, reading Mike M. All in 1 Cert book and just general personal PC repair. I have done all my families needs for a few years probabnly like 5 now. Thanks for all the advice though guys.