Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: online courses...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:15 am 

Hi all..Want to get some certifications so I can get into the IT field. Prepped for the A+ exam but never took it. Figured I would go for the microsoft certifications. Need to take some courses online. Can anyone recommend the best legit online sites to take these courses (or just give out some free advice)?

:D

Many thanks...

DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm suprised nobody has replied.

Are you wanting an MCSE or are you just looking to just take one of the exams to get a MCP?

I have yet to come across an online course that was free that was decent.

The ones that are truly worth their money are brain dumps. Basically they pay people to take the exams and shortly after the exam they write up the questions and answers. Naturally I dont advocate those sites.

Are you opposed to study exam books? If not, then I can recommend some based on the cert's you want to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:04 pm 

Hi MM69 :D

Guess everyone thought I sounded like a total wanker so they did not reply :oops:

Basically I am employed by a world wide company spending my time in the operations of their bottled spring water division.The company won't pay for computer training since it is not job related. I cannot see myself doing this type of work for much longer. Too physical not to mention it is a dead end position. However it does pay the bills so I am stuck here unless something better becomes available.

Computers are my passion. I would like to be involved with them for a living but I am not sure where to turn. I didn't take the A+ exam since I figured it was kind of a waste. Might be off in my thinking but didn't think it would take me anywhere. I just stay busy working on and building machines for friends and associates.

Reason I mention online courses is because my schedule is so hectic. Busy from morning to night with no set quit time so it is basically impossible to attend night school of any sort. Not sure if the microsoft certifications are the way to go (or start I should say). I do learn better by learning "hands on". I tried to learn from some of the prep books availble however I find it hard to pay attention to them for extended periods of time.

If I do put in the time I would like to certifiy myself in something that would make me somewhat employable. Any thoughts on which way to go or advice in general would be appeciated.

Thanks...

DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:02 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Since you dont have experience, certification can really help you get your foot in the door.
Depending on your location, MCSE, MCSA or RHCE are all excellent certifications. A+ will help you land a tech support position, while the other cert's I mentioned will really allow you to start a career making decent money.
Anyone living in the DC/VA area, should consider RHCE certification along with a GIAC cert. Combined both of those and you could bascially land a job over night.
I got ym cert after I was employed. I spent 30-45mins a night 5-6 nights a week reading the MS books I download. If you have two computer and a switch, its much easier to learn what you are reading. I personalyl favor the MS Press books. They are more detailed then others, but once I read cover to cover and did all the exercises, passing hte exams was a cinch for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:12 am 

Thanks...can you pass a link on to the book (s) that worked for you. sounds like the way to go.

DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:55 am 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

If you want online check your local community college thats where I took online classes from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:32 am 

I took my A+ courses in that manner. Will do.

DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:51 am 

Hey wanker...hehe.

I also suggest your local community college...might look into a Cisco Academy.

Get the A+...its a start and it at least shows you know something...

Should be gravy for you also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:14 pm 

Sounds like good advice.

Got to start somewhere.

DC