Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is needed to work for the top tech companies
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:13 pm 

In techology these days it doesn't appear that just having certificates or degrees help...though its been that way for awhile.

It seems that these days companies want someone that has skills for any type of project. I've been looking through various sites and it appears that any good paying position requires you to know how to upgrade a PC or server and work on its software. Though they also require skills in Adobe Flash or Oracle, database management, they also want you to have experience working with networks that have 1000 clients.

Don't get me wrong, I know where living in a fast paced society where technology changes the moment the previous technology came out of development.

Right now I have a good position working as Tech support, though I want more than that I want to work on the server, and help develop websites.

I just feel as if technology is going in so many directions, networks, computers, servers, security, website development, R&D, then theres the sub categories.

How do you get a good job with a good company such as; Intel, AMD, IBM, Google, etc?

What also seems to make it a little complicated is that I live in Michigan and the jobs I know I would excel at only appear to be in California and Washington.

What is needed to work for these companies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:26 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Specialization.

Security Clearance is also a very big help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:41 am 

That is one item many jobs do require. Though how exactly do you get a security clearance? And where do you get it? What exactly do you ask for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:28 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

techgeek wrote:
That is one item many jobs do require. Though how exactly do you get a security clearance? And where do you get it? What exactly do you ask for?

You can get it in the military. I got mine in the Marine Corps although it has been just a little over two years since using it so now it is inactive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:45 pm 

Oh..hmm...is there any way to get a security clearance without joining the military or other brach. I ask because I'm a year to old to join the forces and wouldn't be able to even if I wanted to. Can civilian's qualify for security clearance?

brand wrote:
techgeek wrote:

You can get it in the military. I got mine in the Marine Corps although it has been just a little over two years since using it so now it is inactive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:33 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

1) Yes civilians can get. In fact there are more civilians with then military.

2)Only way to obtain it outside military, is you have to sponsored by a governement agency or a government contractor.

As for what is needed to get a job at one of the companies you mentioned:

The quickest way is a RHCE cert. Espeically with Google.

in the DC/VA area people with RHCE and a GIAC cert are very hard to find and in much demand.

Post subject: Security clearances
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:32 am 

I haven't seen this answer yet - I worked for Intel and I got there by working on-site as a Sub-contractor; A HUGE part of the work is subbed out.
I would suggest looking for an equipment manufacturer and learn to troubleshoot the equipment used in the Fabs or any other piece of equipment Intel utilizes including (but not limited to) Gas delivery systems, Hazardous Material systems, even electrical stuff. I am currently looking for a Backdoor into INEL in Idaho Falls, Idaho (Nuke and cutting-edge research) and found a Forum like this one for RAD Engineers and other Nuclear professionals to assist me. Be careful what you wish for, though, you may hardly ever see your 'home' again - there are places that are really a long ways away - Intel has plants and operations all over the world (Isreal, Malaysia, Ireland etc.)
You should, as another post suggested; SPECIALIZE! I believe engineering is in Folsom, CA; Accounting is in Oregon; Fabs are all over the place.

Post subject: Odd ways to at least get started
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:48 am 

Since I've had a few too many of these, I am starting to recall a few odd ways I 've gotten at least a thorough background check that can at least help, maybe. Want the FBI? try to get a day-care certification in California.
Want the local PD? Get a job at a local school(You Perv!) Sling sodas for Coca-Cola, be prepared for a thorough background check. Want to narrow your search?http://www.jobsearch.org/ These days you can't hardly find a job without somebody wanting to know everything about, including your Credit Score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:11 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

You can go to the Highly Technical section of the Anandtech forums and they have a huge thread on this, even some of there guys work for the companies and are giving advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:27 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Where is this huge thread? Is it in offtopic forums because the yhave no specific forum for training/education/certification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Its a Stick in the HIGHLY TECHNICAL FORUM, it might still be on the first page maybe not, its a long one