Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: College or just certifications
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:57 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

What are your opinions and recommendations on either going to college or just getting certs, or should I try to do both. Id probly be going to Stark State a cheap college I could go for free or close to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:07 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Well I'm going back to college for my certifications then I'll get my degree, but I'm 41 years old that makes a difference. My current occupation is a Shader (Color Matcher) at an automotive paint manufactorer and I want something to fall back on in case the place closes or get rid of more people. I would recommend getting a degree for an employer will probably hire a person with a College Degree over some with just certifications, but a person with just certifications is usually better off than one without anything (including job experience).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:55 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I'd suggest going to college and major in something like Computer Science/Engeneering, or even Electrical Engineering and then minor in IT for the certs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:50 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Techgamer,
Can you be more specific about what type of career you want? If all you want is to repair PC's, then college is a waste of money.

Personally I would reccomend college over certification. A degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering is going to open up a broader range of positions then say a MCSE or RHCE cert would. If you have the time and can afford it, go for the certification after college.

I have both a degree (BSCE) and certifications (RHCE). The cert was just an afterthought long after I had been in industry and my company paid for it. The degree allowed me to work in a wide spectrum; Everything from semi-autonomous robots in haz-mat conditions to my current job of IT Manager. I would have never qualified or been hired with just a certification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you got the certs first, perhaps it would get you a decent paying part-time job to help pay your way through 4 yrs of college.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:02 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Malsherz hit it right on the head. Go to College and then get your certs or do both at the sametime if you can.

Not going to college would be well stupid. A) you are missing out on a great experiance. B) There is more to learn than just fixing the PC.

If you feel like it after you can always to do a Gibbs or Devry or something and do one of their 9 month programs if you want just IT experiance.

Just a thought. I was thinking about doing the Gibbs thing till I found out that they only really care about is the $$. I felt like I went to a used car lot.

All I need is the networking area they wanted me to take everything. And if I felt like I did not need everything I could test out of it but would still need to pay for it....that pissed me off.

sorry needed to vent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:36 pm 

When I first started out on the desktop support scene, I took two certification exams and passed them..just to back up my experience

Now that I'm working as a system admin, I've opted for college, majoring in Internet Technologies..
As soon as I accomplish degree status, I might opt for some more certifications.. I might not.. who knows..

Go for the degree