Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: job market for computers in four years
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:53 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I am have just recently finished my first semester at Michigan Technological University. I am planning on graduating with a dual degree in computer engineering and electrical engineering. I also plan to have at least some experiance. I am wondering what sort of job market I would be looking at about the time I would be graduating(2009). Thanks for any comments in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:06 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Electrcial Engineering = Very Good Outlook

I should be done with my Bull Shit degree in EE around 2008. I've already checked out Monster and there are plenty of Communications Media based jobs that also accept people with EE degrees if the engineering sector stops hiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I've been in the industry for a long time and even during bad economy, I have never had a problem finding a job. (BSCE from Univ of Fl)

However coming fresh out of college there are several things that will affect your ability to get a job:
1) Grades: This is especially true with larger companies. Many companies have a minimum gpa of 2.75/4.0 and most prefer a 3.0/4.0

2) Co-Op/Internships: I think alot of students, especially engineering majors, overlook the value of this. As a manager, you having been in a co-op/internship allows me to contact someone in industry that has direct experience with your work ethic. A positive reccomendation from a former manager will be EXTREMELY beneficial. Personally I would hirer someone with slightly lower grades if they had this type of experience.

3) Willingness to relocate: When I graduated, I had a job waiting for me because I was more than willing to relocate. Many of my friends didnt find a job until about 90 days after graduation.

Just my 2.5 cents worth.
Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:18 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thanks for the responses. I have a few more questions.

I am thinking about doing reserves and maybe rotc inorder to pay for college and get some good experience. How much of a boost to my future hireability would military experience give me, as opposed to co-op/internships. Also, would doing the rotc program(army or airforce) increase my hireability much as opposed to just being in the reserves(any branch pretty much)? Finally, would what job I do in the military matter much, or would it be best if I did something computer/electrical related?

Again thanks for your responses and for any future responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:02 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hmm, thats a tough one.
I would say the industry you go into would determine if military experience would help more than a co-op/internship.
I work in the DC/VA area, so if you got a SCA clearance while you were in the military AND your Military Occupation Specialty was in a technical field, the day you got out you would have a line of jobs waiting for you at a defense contractor/subcontractor.

ROTC vs. Reserves: ROTC hands down. The day you graduate you are commissioned at a 2ndLt and you can chose 4 yrs active duty or 8yrs reserve (at least it used to be this way) But either way you are commissioned as an officer. if you were to just join the reserves, you would a pvt. and you would probably get called up 6 months later.
I had a buddy of mine that did ROTC and he chose 8 yrs reserves. On his last year of reserves he was called up for Iraq and now he is on his THIRD rotation. So its something to keep in mind.

Outside of the security clearance and working for a defense contractor Im not sure if it would give you an edge over a co-op. However, with ROTC you would graduate debt free, vs 4yrs of student loans.

What I would do; Dont ask a local recruiter or ROTC rep about this; Go to your local college and usually there is a career center with counselor's that could give you advice on that subject. They will give you an unbiased opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:58 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

As of now, I want to work in secret research and develop type stuff(whether thats through the military or the private sector I don't know right now), then once I grow tired of that, or whatever, I want to start my own business.

Would doing reserve and/or rotc hurt as compared to co-op/internship(i.e. would co-op/internship be substantionally better than the military experience with what I want to do)?

Thanks for your help so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:33 pm 

R&D is where I would like to work as well, since you would always be working on the latest and greatest, I don't see anyone getting tired of that for a long time at least.

Thats actually the area I would like to work as well. Though at thirty and only having A+ and MCP, in addition to 7 years of real world experience on hardware and software, I don't think I stand much chance.

Unless any one knows something I don't??

Any advice is appreciate :).

mag wrote:
As of now, I want to work in secret research and develop type stuff(whether thats through the military or the private sector I don't know right now), then once I grow tired of that, or whatever, I want to start my own business.

Would doing reserve and/or rotc hurt as compared to co-op/internship(i.e. would co-op/internship be substantionally better than the military experience with what I want to do)?

Thanks for your help so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:24 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Well I talked to one of the counselors at the career center and he didn't seem like military experience would help that much(he wasn't like oh ya, with military experience you'll have no problem finding a job), but he suggested that I go to a career fair here at my school in February. So I'm going to go there and see what the company reps think about military experience. I also sat in on a rotc class(army), I liked it enough that I'm going to go back and check it out again. That's about it so far, if you have any comments, suggestions, advice, etc. please give it, it will be greatly appreciated.