Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: where to work with A+ cert.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:05 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

im a very comp savvy and comp repair experienced techy with only an A+, never got around to MCSE....when i do get my MCSE i imagine any corproate intranet/database will score me 80k+ a yr, but with just an A+ what are some suggested places to work at....i find it ridiculous Best Buy has yet to hire me into comp repair, but they have kids with no exp. behind that counter....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:29 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Depends on where you live/work. Typically many corporations hire entry level IT with A+ cert. have you looked on www.monster.com ?

As for making $80k with your MSCE, Depending on the region you live/work, you may be setting your sites kinda high. I work in the DC area, which is extremely high cost of living and MCSE's 'might' gross $80k yr, but only with a security clearance.
Now RHCE on the otherhand...I pay $10k signing bonuses to those guys. I cant keep them around. Typically in this region RHCE's are grossing $100k+

Post subject: Re: where to work with A+ cert.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:37 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

rayatwork05 wrote:
im a very comp savvy and comp repair experienced techy with only an A+, never got around to MCSE....when i do get my MCSE i imagine any corproate intranet/database will score me 80k+ a yr, but with just an A+ what are some suggested places to work at....i find it ridiculous Best Buy has yet to hire me into comp repair, but they have kids with no exp. behind that counter....

$80K per year with no experience (even with a MCSE} is setting your sights too high. As for why Best Buy won't hire you? ... they probably think you are over qualified... Best Buy doesn't want to pay over $6.75 per hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:26 pm 

I just got hired at Best Buy before Christmas. Don't have my A+ yet; they're going to pay me to get it before March, and MCSE before the end of the year. When I did my third interview, I was told I was hired as much for people skills as for tech skills. It's a sales position as much as anything. I spend as much time on the sales floor as I do working on computers. I'm not saying you don't have people skills, but there are always factors apart from technical expertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:29 pm 

I just got hired at Best Buy before Christmas. Don't have my A+ yet; they're going to pay me to get it before March, and MCSE before the end of the year. When I did my third interview, I was told I was hired as much for people skills as for tech skills. It's a sales position as much as anything. I spend as much time on the sales floor as I do working on computers. I'm not saying you don't have people skills, but there are always factors apart from technical expertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:19 am 
Team Member
Team Member

What do they pay techs at best buy? There is a new Best Buy going up in the next few months, and I may be interested in applying there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:07 am 

I'm sure it varies with region/location. I'm in Minot, North Dakota, where the cost of living is probably half that of a major metropolitan area. As a part-timer with no certifications, I started at $9.25/hour. Full timers make more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:57 am 

I know that CompUSA was looking for A+ certified technicians in the Philadelphia area... just something I noticed on Monster.

Post subject: Re: where to work with A+ cert.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:44 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

rayatwork05 wrote:

80k+ a yr is very high. I live in the NY,NJ,CT metro area and the market for MSCE's is not like it used to be. Just make sure you know what you're talking about. I know several people who have thier MCSE's but didn't know the difference between an IP address and a MAC address. They were considered "paper" MCSE's - those don't last too long.

-misterLOBY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:11 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

ya im more then the average paper comp guy. those guys drive me nuts, cause for whatever reason they always have MY job, sigh. everytime i walkin to a local retail store, and talk to the comp guy he's uber stoopid. 9 times out of 10 they dont have what im looking for, ill ask where the nearest comp store in area is and they reply: "there isn't any" or "i dont know".....anyhoo but not to ramble, i figure if you know your s*** and are certified then you should be able to run a decent sized operation 100+ comp systems which easily translates into 80k+ a yr. if your unable to do so then you shouldnt be in the comp field as far as im concerned. the youngest IT guy at my work has an mcse knows NOTHING bout puters, and is only getting like $12hrly....i was like dude! wtf are you doin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:29 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

80K is like IT Director in some medium-sized companies...

Not walking in THAT door without at least a few years of enterprise level experience.