Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Having trouble deciding about my education, also about you?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm having trouble deciding on my education.

Should I continue in get my Bachelor's of Science Degree in Business Administration with an Option in Computer Information Systems with a minor in Business Computer Programming at the California State Polytechnic University of Pomona?

or

Should I get to Devry/ITT, and get a 4-year degree in less than 3.

The thing is, I'm still working on my lower division transfer, because I got kicked out of Cal Poly Pomona (although I am still on their roster) because i didn't send my damn SAT Scores in time, which isn't the point...point is, it will take me another 3 semesters to transfer, then maybe 2 years at least to get my bachelor's degree, and which then I'll want to get my masters in business administration (M.B.A). TIME is the big issue; however, it does sound better get a 4-degree at a respected University, if I ever want to get a chance to work with computers at a corporate executive level.

Any ideas, how about you guys, what are you guys pursuing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:46 pm 

Devry is not a real school. Its curiculum is well below national standard in Canada. The canadian gov't doesn't recognize it as legitimate educational institution and students can't transfer credits to university.

You should go to a real university in your state. Get a degree in Business and minor in computer if you wish. One can't be a major in IT nowadays. There aren't any jobs in IT. All It jobs are outsource to India.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:53 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

picard wrote:
You should go to a real university in your state. Get a degree in Business and minor in computer if you wish. One can't be a major in IT nowadays. There aren't any jobs in IT. All It jobs are outsource to India.

:lol:

My friends and I are all developers, all work in IT, and not one of us has had trouble finding work.

As with any other field, you need to be among the best at what you do to get a good job in IT, but to say that 'all' IT jobs are being outsourced is wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:39 pm 

Im gonna go to itt tech in 6 years I can get Double Bachelors degrees

sicne there is 2 programs I would take so its not a bad deal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've decided to go for my Bachelor's of Science Degree in Business Administration, with an option in Computer Information Systems with an emphasis in Business Programming, then I'll go back for my master's, all at Cal Poly Pomona of course...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:12 pm 

Jipstyle wrote:
picard wrote:

:lol:

My friends and I are all developers, all work in IT, and not one of us has had trouble finding work.

As with any other field, you need to be among the best at what you do to get a good job in IT, but to say that 'all' IT jobs are being outsourced is wrong.

Haven't you heard the news that IBM laid off 5000 employees ; and their jobs have been transfer to India. Dell outsource their IT jobs to India too. The IT job market is dead in the water. There are many people got laid off. For the survivors of those companies, their salaries have been reduced significantly. IT job market in Canada has been going downhill for long time. There are vast number of unemployed IT professionals in job market. There aren't any university students enroll in IT program anymore. The program is virtually empty of students. Most school programs have at least several hundreds students. IT program has about 20students in enrollment list. That's a far from the normal quota of arts program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Picard,
You are confusing tech support with IT. At my company, an IT position outsourced to India cannot fix my 36 node cluster, that just decided to drop compute nodes for no reason.
I live/work in the VA/DC area. none of the 'IT' positions are being outsourced. Hell, I have trouble keeping experienced RHCE's on my staff w/o giving them $10k signing bonuses (with a solid 18month employment contract of course :wink: ) Maybe IT is slow in Canada, but hey, your economy has never been that big to begin with.

However, that being said, Jxb1a2, I agree that a 4yr major state university degree is going to carry more weight and open more doors for you then a degree from Devry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:51 pm 

Citizen bank outsource its all its IT dept to India including pure networking jobs such as cisco. In fact, all financial institutions outsource its networking staff to India.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

picard wrote:
Citizen bank outsource its all its IT dept to India including pure networking jobs such as cisco. In fact, all financial institutions outsource its networking staff to India.

Picard,
It is physically impossible to outsource an entire IT staff overseas. Yes you can do alot of remote management. However, when a slot fails on a cisco 7600, you need someone local.
You are making broad generalizations about outsourcing that are just not true.
Morgan Stanley, Price Waterhouse, etc?...they have outsourced their IT staff to India?
Check your facts. You are wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:20 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

We'll I'm not in the IT Program, I'm in the Business Administration Program, that just happens to have a CIS Option, and all of the classes have very little to do with hardware, it's mostly programming or theory. The bulk of my degree comes from all the business classes, like econ, accounting, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:31 pm 

Anyone know what the reputation of ECPI is, or had any expirence going there/dealing with them? I was looking into going there for Networking/Security Management. After being out of college for 5 years, the thought of sitting through another friggin 4 semesters of a few tech classes interspersed among classes that i don't care about makes me want to :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:15 am 

For the person that wants to go to ITT Tech, ITT Tech is not accredited college so you’re wasting your time unless you want to learn some basic skills without receiving any credited degree or certificates.

ECPI is as expensive as a State University. The only good thing about ECPI is they do offer some certificates and degrees.

If you have the money or can qualify for grants / scholarships then go to a State University. If you poor like most of us then go to a local Community College for your associates then transfer to a State College.

DonkeySmell.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:25 pm 

ElvisG wrote:
For the person that wants to go to ITT Tech, ITT Tech is not accredited college so you’re wasting your time unless you want to learn some basic skills without receiving any credited degree or certificates.

ECPI is as expensive as a State University. The only good thing about ECPI is they do offer some certificates and degrees.

If you have the money or can qualify for grants / scholarships then go to a State University. If you poor like most of us then go to a local Community College for your associates then transfer to a State College.

DonkeySmell.net

um then howcome you get a degree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:25 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Hyde wrote:
ElvisG wrote:
um then howcome you get a degree

It looks better on your resume. Even if you seek a job not related to your degree... if you earn a BS in Criminal Justice and later apply for a job as a Bio-Physicist... at least you have a BS degree from an accredited school that will earn you job interview points. Whereas, a certificate from DeVry/ITT will not... unless you are applying for a job very closely related to your school experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:39 pm 

I have to disagree that IT jobs are drying up. They are drying up for folks who have their only education in IT.

Many companies are looking for people who have education in fields other than computers. If you major in Business law for example with a minor in IT then you have a much better chance in the job market.

Another example are Engineering degrees. If you have a degree in say, mechanical engineering as well as a strong IT minor you have a better chance of getting work in either field pretty easily.

Also my opinion regarding DeVry and similar "colleges" is to run away. I know so many people who spent 30 grand at some of these schools and were basically told they couldn't qualify for entry level positions anywhere. The quality of the education is piss poor as well. They don't care if you really know anything, they just that nice check from FASA or your parents. A recent study I read stated that a "degree" from one of these rip-offs is not even standard to an A.A. degree from a community college.

I have dealt with graduates from some of these schools and I have to say they were no better, and in many times, worse than someone with only a high school diploma. One comapny I know of hired a DeVry graduate to set up a network and after 3 months this person had spent upwards of 45k and the network functioned (poorly I might add) about 20% of the time. Someone else was hired who had their degree from a real school and the network was up and running in 4 days. Yes that was only 1 person but I have never heard anyone I know of say anything good about the graduates of these institution.

Besides, a community college is a fraction of the cost of a DeVry or Maric and you can apply your credits to a four year college if you choose to continue on for an undergrad or graduate program. You also get the benefit of changing your studies should you find that another field is more to your liking.