Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Certification available to 14 year old?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:54 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I've decided that I'd like to do what I can to get "certified", so I can have some bragging rights. Noooo, not exactly... actually I basically know nothing about getting certified. Is there anything I can do as a 14 year old? If so, is it worth it? Also, what about 15, and 16, and 17, etc.? Any help/info/links/tips/advice would be appreciated! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

First, go to this link:
http://www.comptia.org

Secondly, It's only worth it, if you believe it's worth it, the exams to pass and get the certification cost money (around $150-$200), if your going to take the test, you'll have to studym and take it seriously. It's not like you get homework to help your grade, all you do is study, and take the exam. If willing, there might be some lab manuals for sale to make everything that's theory make sense to you in a practical way.

Thirdly, you might have to get your certification updated, it's not like once you get it, it'll be good forever, technology changes.

Finally there's lot of areas to get certified, you choose one. However, if your wanting to troubleshoot computers in a more general fashion, you might want to try A+, but if your wanting to do something more specific like Telecommunication/Networking, you might want to try Network+, and other respective sections.

Last edited by Jxb1a2 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:22 am 
Team Member
Team Member

So, I can only choose one? The A+ OS, and the A+ Hardware are the most appealing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:46 am 
Willamette
Willamette

The A+ Cert includes both OS and Hardware sections, you can also get as many certifications as you want. If I remember right my teacher has all of the major ones but two of Novells (CLE and CNE I think).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:32 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yes, like Malsherz just stated above me, you can have as many as you want. And CompTIA+ is not the only place to get certification, Microsoft has their own system...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53 am 
Team Member
Team Member

OK, if I get A+ certified, what could I do as a 14 year old?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I don't know...I believe you need a worker's permit, since your under 16. I could be wrong on that but you can check that out for yourself. You could build yourself your own computer I suppose, and maybe sell them to friends who need a new computer? Sorry, but at your age there's not much room for hiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:03 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

pcrobot wrote:

Nothing. The only tech related work a person under 18 will get is crawling in attics with wires and that doesnt need network+. You're better off looking at a multimedia tech job. Be a videographer of something. It's hard enough getting a tech job out of college with a degree and certs, forget about it if your a <18 year old with one or two certs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:39 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

pcrobot wrote:
So, really I should wait till I'm 16 then...

If you're prepared to take the test now, I say go for it. You'll always be able to say "I've been A+ certified since the age of 14..." There's probably not another person on this forum that can accurately claim such a thing. When you're old enough to get a job dinking around with computers, it could carry a slight edge over competing 16 yr old candidates, as it shows you've been serious about PCs for a length of time. The nagain, you'll also be competing with candidates older than you, so it might not help at all. I just don't see it hurting though, so why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

So, really I should wait till I'm 16 then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:44 am 
Team Member
Team Member

One4yu2c wrote:
If you're prepared to take the test now, I say go for it. You'll always be able to say "I've been A+ certified since the age of 14..." There's probably not another person on this forum that can accurately claim such a thing. When you're old enough to get a job dinking around with computers, it could carry a slight edge over competing 16 yr old candidates, as it shows you've been serious about PCs for a length of time. The nagain, you'll also be competing with candidates older than you, so it might not help at all. I just don't see it hurting though, so why not?

Yeah, I have the time to get certified... How soon after I get certified do I have to "update" my certification?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:31 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

pcrobot wrote:
Yeah, I have the time to get certified... How soon after I get certified do I have to "update" my certification?

Depends on the certification. You need to go read about and research the certifications you are interested in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:45 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I think most people on this forum could acheive A+ without breaking a sweat. That being said, I'll probably do it and some network certs next year (17yrs) becuase I'll have a really like workload in terms of acedemics so I'll have time to piss away with things like that.

But in my life, work experience has always counted for more than acedemic certifications. I'm building and programming PLCs at 16 which is hardly "crawling around in attics running wires", and I've been at it for two years. You can do a lot, go work with the guy who runs the local hole in the wall computer store after school, gain experience, and then when you've got enough padding in your resume go bigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:36 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

pcrobot,
1st off, congrats for wanting to take the initiative and further your education.
I was a college recruiter for a multinational company for a few years (mostly targeted Electrical and Computer Engineers) and I have to say every little bit counts. The ability to say on your résumé Cert A+, MCSE, etc. for 5+ yrs will look good.
Of course that doesn’t help you now. With your age, it will be difficult to find employment because of child labor laws (varies from state to state).
If you live in Indiana, you can work. However your hours are limited, and the industry you can work in is limited also. http://www.in.gov/labor/childlabor/faq.html

With your age and lack of experience, I think a summer internship would be ideal to get your foot in the door. The lab I manage hires summer interns all the time. Most are without pay. But in exchange for that, you get very good work experience, something you can pad your resume and most employers will provide you with a letter of recommendation. Sometimes this leads to a paid internship the following summer.

Often, local universities and community colleges offer internships. You also might want to check with your school counselor for tips on who might be willing hirer someone for an internship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:02 am 
Team Member
Team Member

gramaton cleric wrote:
pcrobot wrote:

Nothing. The only tech related work a person under 18 will get is crawling in attics with wires and that doesnt need network+. You're better off looking at a multimedia tech job. Be a videographer of something. It's hard enough getting a tech job out of college with a degree and certs, forget about it if your a <18 year old with one or two certs.

With all due respect your advice is incorrect. If someone graduates from a 4yr university AND they have certifications on top of that and they have a hard time landing a job; Either their grades are substandard, or they are just looking in the local classified ad's.(i.e. being lazy). The industry and area I live/work, tech jobs are fairly easy to come by. Currently for RHCE's I pay $10k signing bonuses just to attract talent. Im constantly outbidded so we always run short on staff. Granted with pcrobot's age, he will have much harder time landing a paying job. With an unpaid internship he would have a fairly good chance of a company taking a chance on him and that would most likely lead to a paid internship or part time job.

pcrobot, you are going to hear alot of people tell you that you 'cant', 'you will fail', 'it's impossible', etc.
Ignore that bs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:57 am 
Team Member
Team Member

markmark69 wrote:
pcrobot,
1st off, congrats for wanting to take the initiative and further your education.

Thanks! :)

markmark69 wrote:
I was a college recruiter for a multinational company for a few years (mostly targeted Electrical and Computer Engineers) and I have to say every little bit counts. The ability to say on your résumé Cert A+, MCSE, etc. for 5+ yrs will look good.
Of course that doesn’t help you now. With your age, it will be difficult to find employment because of child labor laws (varies from state to state).
If you live in Indiana, you can work. However your hours are limited, and the industry you can work in is limited also. http://www.in.gov/labor/childlabor/faq.html

With your age and lack of experience, I think a summer internship would be ideal to get your foot in the door. The lab I manage hires summer interns all the time. Most are without pay. But in exchange for that, you get very good work experience, something you can pad your resume and most employers will provide you with a letter of recommendation. Sometimes this leads to a paid internship the following summer.

Any ideas where to look online? All the sites I've found, search for internships available to college students. (They all ask what college are you going to?)

markmark69 wrote:
Often, local universities and community colleges offer internships. You also might want to check with your school counselor for tips on who might be willing hirer someone for an internship.

I'll check into it... I'm homeschooled, so I don't have a school counselor (unless, of course, you count my parents.)

markmark69 wrote:
pcrobot, you are going to hear alot of people tell you that you 'cant', 'you will fail', 'it's impossible', etc.
Ignore that bs.

OK! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:00 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Can't get a tech job before 18? I'm taking an A+ course through my high school, and my teacher let the whole class know that there was an internship opening up in the district with the IT department. I'm not even certified yet, and I'm getting paid $7.50 an hour to come in during my free period and after school. Every two weeks I make about $40. Oh and I'm 16 and a sophmore btw.

If you feel you are ready for it, you should do it. A+ is easily the best place to start. I'm pretty sure any CompTia flowchart you will see will have A+ as the first thing, and then it branches out from there. If I get mine, Net+ is my next stop over the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:18 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

pcrobot wrote:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER!!!

Thats the only advantage to taking it now.

anything with a + at the ends last forever!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Seriously?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:24 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

pcrobot wrote:
Seriously?

dead