Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer repair question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:53 pm 

what is the diference between computer repair and getting A+ certified? And do pc technician get pay alot? About how much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:19 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I don't think there is much difference between the two except being A+ Certified just shows that you have at least 6 months experience in the field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:03 pm 

and alot of entry level positions in companies would like you to have it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:26 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I saw an ad promising $40,000+ as a repair tech if you took their course. I took the wrong course, obviously. I'm A+ certified anf if it wasn't for side work, I wouldn't survive. A+ certification taught me how to take a test, that's all. I scored 900(hardware) and 650(software) and did not know how to install a modem when I was done(exaggeration). We had a guy who was an instructor in A+ an Net+ at a local community college. I had to let him go after 4 days. He knew NOTHING! I spent the next week going around fixing everything he touched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Location: Defragging brain. Sector 25642401. Percent complete: 01000000%. 64-bit me.
I start a new job on the 21st as an IT Assitant (I'll move up to status of System Administrator). Starting is $13/hr, roughly $32K a year plus benefits. This is on nothing more than a high school diploma and an A+ certification. The fact that I graduated from the Cisco Networking Academy also helps. As for hourly rates while free lancing, I charge $35/hr, partly because of my age. In a few years I'll charge $60/hr.

It's a cool field to get into, if you know what to study and where to go.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:01 pm 

the_river wrote:
I start a new job on the 21st as an IT Assitant (I'll move up to status of System Administrator). Starting is $13/hr, roughly $32K a year plus benefits. This is on nothing more than a high school diploma and an A+ certification. The fact that I graduated from the Cisco Networking Academy also helps. As for hourly rates while free lancing, I charge $35/hr, partly because of my age. In a few years I'll charge $60/hr.

It's a cool field to get into, if you know what to study and where to go.

Good luck!

the fact that you have cisco training is what matters, not the A+
also i didn't see anything about experience with a+ certificaton, just that you passed a test. I have worked with paper engineers (certified up the wazoo) but with no experience, fail in the real world, best to have both, companies like the certs but experience keeps you woking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you get a College/University A.S/B.S Degree you'll be talking a good $40,000 minimum as an entry level personel. I say even if you work, go to school part-time to get a degree. And, I don't think PC Technicians get paid a lot. Do it because you like it, because if your going to want to make money, you'll have to do more administrative, managerial type work. This is what I saw at my school on a billboard in the Comp Info Sys area.