Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Game Devs???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:41 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Who are the guys who sit down for a game and lets say in the instance of a real time strategy title, decide what the storyline is, what the sides are, what units are there for each side, what are the tech trees for each side, base buildings, or for a fps what are the levels designed like, what kind of guns are there going to be, where are ammo crates going to be, what kinds of enemies are there. This would be the job of a Game Developer right, what kinds of courses do you have to take to get that job, i know that input for alot of what i listed doesnt come just from developers( artists, writers, testers, etc). How do you go about getting into that particular field of the video gaming industry???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:06 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_developer

Post subject: Re: Game Devs???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:58 am 

SanguineumCaelum wrote:
Who are the guys who sit down for a game and lets say in the instance of a real time strategy title, decide what the storyline is, what the sides are, what units are there for each side, what are the tech trees for each side, base buildings, or for a fps what are the levels designed like, what kind of guns are there going to be, where are ammo crates going to be, what kinds of enemies are there. This would be the job of a Game Developer right, what kinds of courses do you have to take to get that job, i know that input for alot of what i listed doesnt come just from developers( artists, writers, testers, etc). How do you go about getting into that particular field of the video gaming industry???

It's splitting hairs, but what from what you are saying, the position you are describing is more of a "game designer" as opposed to "game developer". That is, if by "game developer" you mean a "game software developer".

Game designers usually need a more "artistic" background as opposed to a programming background. That being said, it's good for both designers and developers to have some skills/knowledge in their respective non-specialty field so they can integrate better with a development team.

Most employers I've seen that have been looking for "game designers" require some sort of design portfolio as part of the interview process. Entry level positions usually are not focused on a portfolio of completed games (although that is a bonus if you have one), but a portfolio of concept art, level design, character design, ect...

As for finding classes on this, there are a plethora of schools that are starting game design courses. Here are some examples:

-ITT Tech: Bachelors in Digital Entertainment and Game Design
-Devry offers more of a programming course on Game and Simulation Programming
-http://www.gamedegree.com/ goes to UAT's game program website.
-There are more, just Google search for more info.

Not just the small schools, but big ones like University of Southern California, Carnegie Mellon University, and more are starting to offer serious degree programs.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:43 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Well it sounds like i am going in the right direction , so far in high school i have already taken some programming courses( vb.net, java, now on C++)
would it be a good idea to take like a creative writing course or something that deals with creativity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:07 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

SanguineumCaelum wrote:
would it be a good idea to take like a creative writing course or something that deals with creativity.

IMO, a creative writing class is beneficial regardless of which path your career takes.