Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I'm also starting a computer business. And I need help.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:41 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Like the last guy I read about, I'm intend to open a Computer Business in the somewhat near future. My current plan is this: I'm currently a Sophmore in High School and hope to open up a year or two after I get out of High School. I intend to get some jobs at computer eletronics store during that time if I can (for experience). I also plan to get everything ready for the opening (fourms, plans, website, things like that). This business is going to include just about everything: Computer Repair, including malware removal, hardware replacement and any other ideas I can think of; Computer Upgrades, Software and Hardware; Computer and Eletronics Lessons (Eletronics meaning Cell Phone feaures, PDAs, Cameras, and more); Computer Shopping and Computer Building; eBay Selling Assistance; Web Design; Software Creation (AKA Programming); And any other ideas. I also need to figure out what certifications I will need to get, how much money I will need to have, etc... Thanks in advance for any input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:11 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I would recommend something like this...> http://www.trainingcamp.com/us/noflash.asp

Good luck tackling all of those goals...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:22 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

One suggestion (and it's expensive) is to get bonded and insurance for this. This protects you in the event you lose someone's valuable data by accident. Without it, a client can own your business. This also shows the clients that you can be trusted with confidential information (and you had better always be confidential or again, you business is toast...)

Good work and great customer service at a reasonable price will get you a very long way!

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:28 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

That's part of the plan, and that was one of the major things brought up by my mom. Any word on how much insuance costs (could never figure that out)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:39 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I just got a look at the prices at training camp and holy crap!!!! :shock: :!: I'm not sure if these prices are outrageous, but this looks likes college course prices crammed into one or two weeks. Here's the link to the prices if it works (not sure) LINK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:37 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

pcspeedguy wrote:
I just got a look at the prices at training camp and holy crap!!!! :shock: :!: I'm not sure if these prices are outrageous, but this looks likes college course prices crammed into one or two weeks. Here's the link to the prices if it works (not sure) LINK.

Well, keep in mind this includes a posh hotel, most meals, airfare, unlimited beverages, etc... You'd do better to buy books and learn hands on with used equipment. Those cram camps are designed to make you pass the test not teach you why the selected answers are actually correct.

Anything from O'Reilly, Sams or Que publishing is worth the price. eBay and used books on Amazon are a great find too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:27 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:12 pm 

maybe they just instantly zap it into your brain like how sony's already got a patent on the technology to for images into your mind despite that they don't actually have any hardware that can do anything like that. no, actually though, the CISCO systems training probably wouldn't be bad but everything else is WAY overcharged and couldn't teach you anything. actually that's the kind of thing that I'd love to do except I wouldn't be as much on the software end because hardware is where my knowledge really lies. I fully intend on going to a 4-yr college for that info however and I'm also going to apply it to my knowledge of sound systems (i run it at my school) to create a digital studio as well as a shop and run it out of a rented apartment because there's already a local shop. i'll do everything online... you may be talking to one of eBay's next powersellers! I'm actually working on a couple of cheap inventions -- e.g. turning a $15 fm transmitter from RCA into a much more precise digital "professional" transmitter using only twenty feet of cabling and the pipes inside my home. ill hv no government officials coming after me! anyway, yeah, im a junior and if you'd be interested in moving to the east coast somewhere, probably north carolina, it'd be pretty sweet to work together on a shop/studio w/you! we're talking about far in the future, but it's a very cool possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:55 am 

jamesb2147 wrote:
maybe they just instantly zap it into your brain like how sony's already got a patent on the technology to for images into your mind despite that they don't actually have any hardware that can do anything like that. no, actually though, the CISCO systems training probably wouldn't be bad but everything else is WAY overcharged and couldn't teach you anything. actually that's the kind of thing that I'd love to do except I wouldn't be as much on the software end because hardware is where my knowledge really lies. I fully intend on going to a 4-yr college for that info however and I'm also going to apply it to my knowledge of sound systems (i run it at my school) to create a digital studio as well as a shop and run it out of a rented apartment because there's already a local shop. i'll do everything online... you may be talking to one of eBay's next powersellers! I'm actually working on a couple of cheap inventions -- e.g. turning a $15 fm transmitter from RCA into a much more precise digital "professional" transmitter using only twenty feet of cabling and the pipes inside my home. ill hv no government officials coming after me! anyway, yeah, im a junior and if you'd be interested in moving to the east coast somewhere, probably north carolina, it'd be pretty sweet to work together on a shop/studio w/you! we're talking about far in the future, but it's a very cool possibility.

Im not trying to be an ass, but paragraphs are your friend.