Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Where to Start?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:23 am 

First off, like all of you, I love technology.
I have a Degree and certification in Technology Training.
I enjoy helping/teaching others about technology, how to use their computer/software.
I just got my first real job out of college in the finance field, as a corporate trainer, training their software. But its lame, not the same as being in IT. :roll: I like training and solving problems at the same time.

I am looking for help on where to start to get certifications that may help me getting hired to do training for technology, not Finance.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! :o

Thx Mediocer

Post subject: Re: Where to Start?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:00 am 

Mediocer wrote:
I just got my first real job out of college in the finance field, as a corporate trainer, training their software. But its lame, not the same as being in IT. :roll: I like training and solving problems at the same time.

I am looking for help on where to start to get certifications that may help me getting hired to do training for technology, not Finance.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! :o

Thx Mediocer

I understand. After two years in school, almost an Associates in Computer Technology (only have 3 non-technical classes left), and with almost 3 years of experience, I JUST landed my first "IT" related position. The problem in IT is, that it seems if you don't know someone, you're bound to get stuck in a cycle where you are only doing "Help Desk" positions. I like helping customers, but I'm more hands on. Tech support over the phone is ok, but I like to be the one to fix it, not having the customer go through and fix it with me telling them what to do. I'm getting ready to get my A+, then my Net+, and probably Security+. Once I obtain these, I will concentrate on CIW, and MCSE. I like building Web sites also. Go to CompTIA's Web site, and check out their resources. If your starting in the field, CompTIA certs are a start. With certs in the IT industry, you should be able to land a postion training in IT. May want to try for an Assistant, or Intern postion first- to get your foot in the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:19 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

One of my college proffessors at my local community college teaches Networking and Programming during the fall/winter/spring months, and for 4 months in the summer he gets a job in IT.

He says now that he's got so much experience under his belt all he has to do is post his resume on Monster.com and he gets job offers.

Anyway, you might want to try something like that. If you don't have the credentials to be a college proffessor, you could still teach HS classes. Then during the summer you could work 3 or 4 months to get some "hands-on" experience.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:10 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

In the past few months Ihave found the "who you know" method is very important. I landed a job working for a car dealership only to have it disapear 3days in when my boss quit. Still trying to figure that one out. I am now up for a better paying positition, the location sucks for me, but it pays 3x what I get now. I am willing to make some sacrifices to get the better paying job and the expierence that goes with it in order to better provide for my family. I think just having your foot in the door is a great start. Training people in software may not be what you want but use it to push yourself into your ideal job.