Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC Repair
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:11 am 

I really enjoy building computers and dealing with the hardware, what would be a good route to make that a career? I'm a police officer right now, but I'm looking to change careers.

Post subject: Re: PC Repair
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:02 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Location: Defragging brain. Sector 25642401. Percent complete: 01000000%. 64-bit me.
JD50 wrote:
I really enjoy building computers and dealing with the hardware, what would be a good route to make that a career? I'm a police officer right now, but I'm looking to change careers.

If you really enjoy it, of course. I have my A+ certification which I obtained at the age of 17 last year. I've graduated from the Cisco Networking Academy early this year before I graduated from high school. I currently have a position waiting for me in the networking field with a salary starting at $38,000 a year. That's with only a high school diploma, a certification and a credible Cisco training program.

Networking is where it's at. If you want big bucks, get into network security for big companies. If you go solo in your career path, you can usually charge large sums of money per hour. I charge $35/hour when I do a service job for basic computer maintenance, network setup and what not. That's cheap. Normally techs charge $60/hour and some with Microsoft certifications get $175/hour. Get the experience under your belt and you'll be ready to go. Find someone out there that you know that has a position in a company that needs be filled, and you have your foot already in the door.

Be a tech. It's a good 'ol time. We aren't always respected until something drastic happens. Then you have people bowing before you. You are their savior. Too bad we can't wallow in it. It turns people off when you make them out to be the idiots.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:23 pm 

Where would be a good place to get those certifications? I kinda knew that A+ had to do with repair, but what is cisco for? I was hoping to do it all online. I don't think I would have any problem finding a job because I have a very high security clearance, and companies are dying for people with a clearance. Thanks for the info by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:45 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Location: Defragging brain. Sector 25642401. Percent complete: 01000000%. 64-bit me.
Government guy eh? Clearence huh? Well you can acquire your A+ via two seperate exams from CompTIA. There is a hardware and software exam. Each are $145, at least when I took them.

Hardware essentially covers the basics from package types of older CPUs to the modern ones, to registers on a CPU, to what the Northbridge and Southbridge chipsets monitor and control. Oh and did I mention printers? Heck of a lot of questions on how to repair a printer and the parts of a printer.

Software covers everything from DOS to Windows XP. You have to know stuff here. It also covers a few questions on networking with Windows.

For both exams, I took the 2003 objectives. I am sure they updated them now to include 2003 Server and more recent OS developments. They do not cover Linux or and Unix based systems.

Cisco? Tell me you haven't heard of Cisco? How about Linksys? Linksys is owned by Cisco. Cisco is the all to know all manufacturer of high end networking systems. From high end routers, to the average Joe home router. From fiber switches to 10/100Mbps switches, these guys know how to do it. They invented protocols like EIGRP, IGRP, OSPF and they love to test you on them. If you can achieve your Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification, more power to you. I haven't taken it yet, as I lost the code to get 50% of the CCNA exam.

Good luck. Come back to me if you got any other questions.

Links:

CompTIA
http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/?nav=quick

Cisco
http://www.cisco.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:57 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_ge ... uide&skd=1

This book covers everything, but is extremely confusing at times. My Technical Support and Networking class came to know this book as the book that contained the "Man in the Box". Mike Myers uses this anology to describe the way a CPU uses registers to compute data. We hated that chapter. I believe it was chapter 2 or 3. Overall though, it's an okay book.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dummies ... 41870.html

This book is the shortened version of what Myers said in his book. It's overall easier to understand, and will get you where you want to go. That is, if you're okay with reading a Dummies book. :) Hey I brushed up using it a couple days before I went to take the test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:53 am 

Thanks for all your help. I got the A+ for dummies book and I am sailling through it pretty fast. I'm surprised that I actually understand what they are talking about in that book. It seems like its about time for them to update the A+ exam, it seems like they do it about every 3 years, and the book does seem a little dated. Once I finish this book take the A+ exams, I think I'm gonna work on CCNA. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:43 am 
Willamette
Willamette

the_river wrote:
There is a hardware and software exam. Each are $145, at least when I took them.

You can also find test vouchers online that will save you some money on the tests when you get to that point of the courses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:45 am 
Willamette
Willamette

the_river wrote:
There is a hardware and software exam. Each are $145, at least when I took them.

You can also find test vouchers online that will save you some money on the tests when you get to that point of the courses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:42 pm 

I'm in a similar situation, with 19 years' Air Force physical and electronic security experience and a security clearance. I'm working Geek Squad at Best Buy, which is nice because they'll pay for all my tech certifications. When it's all done, I was thinking very seriously of relocating to Raleigh because of Cisco's presence there. Thanks for all the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:51 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

For the guy that is 17, I think he was "the_river" $38K isn't bad to start out but you can get a lot more doing phone support too even out of high school with nothing. You're getting ripped if you know a lot about networking.

Me personally I need to know more about networking it is my week point. Now for Mr. Cop Land, this was a very good movie by the way. I do agree that networking is where it's at. And you should try to get there. However, if you don't have any experience with tech support it does not matter what clearance you have, you won't get a networking job that easy.

This is my advice. Read the dummies book. After you read the dummies book get a real book like one from Syngress or something. After you pass the test, and don't worry if you don't pass it on the 1st shot, a lot of people don't. Then, try and get a job doing phone support. Do that for 6 months or so then try and get something in desktop support either internal or external if you have to. All the while get your Network+ cert and then if you want something from CISCO.

I would not jump right into CISCO as I'll be honest, you'll be a paper cert. That means you won't have any experience not to mention everything you are reading won't make any sense. The OSI layers are going to be the easiest thing you'll stumble on.

Just my advice but you don't need to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:53 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

dmage wrote:
I'm in a similar situation, with 19 years' Air Force physical and electronic security experience and a security clearance. I'm working Geek Squad at Best Buy, which is nice because they'll pay for all my tech certifications. When it's all done, I was thinking very seriously of relocating to Raleigh because of Cisco's presence there. Thanks for all the info.

Dmage & JD50: Depending on the 3 levels of SC you may have, most RHCE's in my area are starting at $100k <1yr exp. Really anyone with SC and some type of certification will have absolutely no problem landing a job in the NoVa/DC area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:05 pm 

I too am on the track to get A+ certified. I will take this info to heart and check out Cisco and the software. Hardware is my thing but i'll take them anywayz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:25 pm 

u need to take the core os part to becoem certified tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:55 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Malsherz wrote:
the_river wrote:

Any reputable sites that someone would like to recommend?

I think I might try to get A+ certified this summer, while I am taking a break from Grad classes. I work at a big aerospace company, but unfortunately they don't pay for certification like this (especially when you're in Finance like I am). :roll:

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:24 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
hmm the local college told me it was $155 for both A+ exams...