Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Certification path for career?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:43 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I'm trying to move up from my last position (microcomputer analyst). Basically a field tech that did some server backups, some active directory management on the servers, and managed 200 laptops for the emergency services people (vpn, dhcp server etc).

I have a lead on a job through a company that wants you to have the microsoft 70-680 and 70-685. I've already completed the first and second I'll take next week.

After that, if this job lead doesn't come through I need some planning. I already have a MIS degree from a college and almost 4 years of experience at my last job. I know the airforce base here requires a security+ cert and possibly network+. I had a course similar to security+ in college so I figure follow up the microsoft ones with those two to open up that job quickly and since they should be relatively easy.

After that I plan on sitting down and working through the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 to continue the microsoft path to possibly get into an entry level system admin job. From there I am thinking the CCNA? After that it seems a lot of system admin jobs like to have exerpience in sql (basic database course at school), networking jobs like you to have ccna phones added, and asp.net stuff also on the server side.

Am I looking at this right or wrong?

Path:
College done
3-4 years experience in first job done
70-680 done
70-685
Network+
Security+
70-640
70-642
70-646
CCNA
???
???
???

Post subject: Re: Certification path for career?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:59 pm 

I dunno about getting into SQL. IT is trending toward specialization rather than generalists. Leave that to the Database Admins. There is more than enough to keep up with just doing systems and networks.

The Microsoft certs are going to be very valuable. If you do Network+, push out the CCNA. Not that it isn't valuable, it just isn't the end all be all it used to be.

It really is going to come down to what the job entails and what systems they have as to how well qualified you will be. You are not going to be a perfect fit for every place, but getting your MCP or better, Security and Network+ should get you into many places. You are totally on the right track.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:04 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Interesting thought on the ccna? It seems like a lot of smaller businesses force the system admin to run the cisco phones and do basic router/switch setup too so they seem to list it. I guess I'll evaluate that more and put it more on the back end since it seems the most time consuming and less of what I want to do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:03 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

alex911 wrote:
Interesting thought on the ccna? It seems like a lot of smaller businesses force the system admin to run the cisco phones and do basic router/switch setup too so they seem to list it. I guess I'll evaluate that more and put it more on the back end since it seems the most time consuming and less of what I want to do.

Alex, many a time, those job listings are done by HR people who are what we'd consider "technically challenged". The CCNA is still a marketable cert to a company that runs Cisco gear. If they don't then it'll still show you have a damn solid knowledge of networking. The Net+ is easy. 7 layers, TCP vs UDP, topologies, ports, and that's is. The CCNA material I studied was way, way more in depth than the Network+ material.

If you ask me (and you're not, but I'm stating my view either way), the Network+ is good but the CCNA will look better to anyone that knows the difference between the two.

As for learning SQL and such, every SysAdmin I've met or worked with is also part programmer. Knowing SQL and such wouldn't be a bad thing but you don't have to get a cert in everything. Just don't use the word "dabble" on your resume. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Haipyng wrote:
I dunno about getting into SQL. IT is trending toward specialization rather than generalists. Leave that to the Database Admins. There is more than enough to keep up with just doing systems and networks.

While you are correct, some companies also want to make sure that if you are responsible for their servers you know your way around certain systems. Even if it being familiar with them enough to know not what to touch, or in a pinch do to basic tasks like back-ups and recovery...especially over a holiday weekend where the junior admin is the one on call. ;-)