Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: modding
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:08 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've been searching the web trying to find some well written COMPREHENSIVE tutorials on modding/using game editors. They typically ship with no instructions or next to no instructions. apparently, this stuff is supposed to be 'intuitive' - I can tell you - I used to program (over 20 years ago) with gw30 basic and extended basic, pascal, ti extended and some cobal and using these editors is anything BUT intuitive. The grand scope is there, sure - but as they say, the devil is in the details and that's where I get hung up. Case in point: the "snap to" function in the morrowind editor. Nothing snapped to for me. Nothing would line up. I tried to find help on it for years and finally just had to give up. It seemed I was the only person in the world that just "didn't get it". I'm sure it's something simple and or silly - like using a colon with gw30 basic for a line break instead of a semi colon in ti extended. a simple syntax difference but if you didn't know about the difference you got borked code.

I have searched exhaustively over the last several weeks but of course, the only links I can find are for people who are talking about what they've done or what they're going to do or people who would like to see something done. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's great but why on earth it shows up under a search for "modding tutorial" on every search engine there is baffles me.

Best case scenario - someone who's used one of the TES editors and is willing to get on vent for a few minutes. Otherwise, any actual real tutorial resources would be great. Please don't point me to mod sites for shooters. I have no interest in them - I know they are prevalent - I found some of these. I don't own any of them and they aren't what I'm looking for nor will they help me.

thanks.

Post subject: Re: modding
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:13 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

umm... this is a huge and broad topic and no one clear answer to this. What game are you trying to mod? What are you trying to accomplish?

I'm no modder and haven't dabbled in actual coding in like 6 years, but I would pose your question on a gamer forum or a modding community.

Post subject: Re: modding
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have posted on modding forums. the post gets lost almost instantly with people constantly posting their modding ideas and noone ever answers it. I guess the modding community is just a "closed" club. Kind of like the geek squad linux boys. :p I remember asking a question about a tool I found online for a program with detailed instructions on how to set it up on linux. When I posted asking how to do it on windows I simply got the answer "no windows support" and then the cold shoulder. I've found the same thing seems to exist in the modding community. You either figure it out on your own or you don't learn it. That's been my experience up to this point at least.

It's not that broad of a topic - perhaps I should've asked for a tutorial on how to use an editor. Specifically, I'd like to start with the TES editors. Possibly the fallout editors and others to follow. I have no desire at this point to write game addons for mmo's which actually is a coding language and would probably be cake for me to learn if I had any desire to do that sort of thing.

More details - okay, I'd like to be able to build an interior space and have the objects line up. That would be a start. I couldn't even get the morrowind editor to do that. I think if I could get things to line up in the editor I'd be able to figure most of the rest of it out. See? it seems like a simple question but the responses I got to it in the past are things like "hmm.. I didn't have that problem" - REally? how does that help me? lol. fack...

I'm not completely moronic. I used to own an engineering company and designed OSP catv. I figured out how to use a half finished (and not fully functional) editor for DKII years ago. Unfortunately, the dungeons defaulted to pet mode and you could only run one at a time. Hence, the "unfinished"...

It's possible bethesda has improved the usability and user friendliness of their editors (I doubt it though). I also tried with the dungeon siege editor but I think you needed a Ph.D. in computer engineering to figure out that mess.

Many moons ago I used the very simple, neat and clean original age of empires map maker to design many maps - very easy to use and very intuitive. Age of empires II - not so much. Never did figure it out. The editors simply got too complex too fast for me to keep up with I guess.

It's still something I would like to do again. Creating in game content/maps/housing/etc - it's just something I really enjoy and I'd like to be able to do it again.