Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reality of finding a job in IT?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:25 pm 

Here is my problem, I am a 50+ year old injured worker who can no longer work in my current career.

I was sent to school by work comp for Microsoft certifications. I have the A+, 70-270, 70-290 & 70-291.

I have alot of undocumentable experience with computers, (started as a hobby while working) and even some experience with Linux.

So far, every job listing I have seen wants 5-10 years experience and / or a B.S. degree of some sort. Where are the so-called entry level positions?

I took a lawyer's advice and "steered" work comp toward my interest in computers as a second career, I think I was steered out of the job market.

So, my question is what are the real chances of a 50+ injured worker finding any kind of work in the IT field?

I have considered my own business but there are more small computer shops than I can count in my area.

Post subject: Re: Reality of finding a job in IT?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Honestly without experience or a college degree it will be a tough road. Now a days there are simply more applicants then jobs and Certs mean squat. Your best course of action is to volunteer, intern, or temp somewhere and show them what you know and can do. Even if they don't have a position open they might know of one.

Best of luck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:48 am 

powergeekinside wrote:
Here is my problem, I am a 50+ year old injured worker who can no longer work in my current career.

I was sent to school by work comp for Microsoft certifications. I have the A+, 70-270, 70-290 & 70-291.

I have alot of undocumentable experience with computers, (started as a hobby while working) and even some experience with Linux.

So far, every job listing I have seen wants 5-10 years experience and / or a B.S. degree of some sort. Where are the so-called entry level positions?

I took a lawyer's advice and "steered" work comp toward my interest in computers as a second career, I think I was steered out of the job market.

So, my question is what are the real chances of a 50+ injured worker finding any kind of work in the IT field?

I have considered my own business but there are more small computer shops than I can count in my area.

don't think about injured thing, 50 years old thing and something else, are there any different with others ? not at all, isn't it ?

I agree with it 's quite tough to get the job for the guy without experiences and degree. It' s not mean that you can not find the job.
learning the new trick is the worth thing no matter you can get the job by it or not.
In my point of view, don't be scared with rumors and have a try, post the CV and take some interviews. then you will get the reality requirements of the employer, you can improve them after that. it 's better than you just dwell and wasting time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:09 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm not in the IT field but some advice:

Build a personal website to showcase your work.

Learn as much in as many overlapping areas.

Work with a recruiter. The pay and work might suck but it should help for the long term.

BTW, there is no more entry level positions anywhere (I'm in biotech, the worst probably). All college grads need 1+ years paid work. 10+ years exp is too much.

HR seeks the purple squirrel. There's only one and it died 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:51 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

What I see here is an incomplete or expired certification path, no college degree, and an advanced age for the "entry-level" IT position.

This can be overcome but I would recommend taking and passing the new Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP) or Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE). Having one of these certs up to date with current technology should get you at least in interview for 2nd level support or better; after that it is up to your interview skills. Getting the 4-year degree can always be accomplished after receiving these certifications. Based on your age I would recommend more certifications such as VCP or other Microsoft specialties in lieu of a degree unless you really want it just realize it will take time when working full time; mine took 7 years to complete while working.

Unless the job is for management I would encourage you to apply even if the requirement is to have a 4 year degree and experience. Usually for individual contributor positions you can offset the degree with a current certification. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:40 am 

Thanks for the replies. I agree the certs are out of date.
I questioned that when work comp sent me to the school.
The school sold work comp the idea they( the certs) were still good.
I have since learned on my own that is not so true.
The 'purple squirrel' comment gave me chuckle too.
I am working on the college degree and more up to date certs but now on my own dime.
Forced retirement does not pay very well and work comp is a pain to deal with.
My advicec to others, don't get injured and plan your own retirement.

Question: Should I major in Microsoft and have a minor in Linux?
Any one think Linux certs help or hurt?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:08 pm 

Linux certs are not a bad thing but in my experience you would need to pair any Linux cert with at least a couple years of on the job experience. Microsoft/Windows shops are a little easier to get into. If you are serious about the Linux stuff go for the RHCE but be warned, it isn't easy or cheap, and you still won't get an interview for a primarily Linux based position with just that one cert.

Check with the local community college, they will typically have programs that follow the Microsoft tracks in preparation for the exams. They are typically less expensive and you can get federal grants/loans to help pay for the courses. The down side is they take 15 weeks per course so it can still take time to progress.