Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question regarding work experience
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:52 pm 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and provide feedback!

The situation:
I am currently on track to graduate with a BS in computer science and a minor in mathematics a year from now. Currently, my work experience at the end of this summer will be as follows:

1) One and a half years working for my college as a technical support services technician. I work on software and hardware trouble-shooting. This is a student job - I work an average of 40 hours per week in the summer and 15-20 hours per week in the school year. This is my current employer.

2) I worked six months at a small business (computer repair shop) as an unpaid intern. I did software and hardware trouble-shooting, sales, small amounts of web design, and learned about the small business atmosphere in a financial sense. I worked 5-10 hours per week at this job. The reason I did not work longer was because I felt working more than six months unpaid may be a detriment to my resume.

-----------------------------------

The question:
I have three options for my next work experience, and I am wondering what my best option is, assuming I am looking for a job that will get my foot in the door for an IT project management/lead software engineer position in the future. I am not necessarily looking to manage right out of college, but would like to get there fairly quickly. I apologize if my description is vague; my experiences so far have led me to believe that I will enjoy pretty much any IT-related job.

Please assume I have job offers for each of these on the table and they are all paid internships:

1) Software Development Intern for SAP

I would be working mostly on quality assurance, but would work on some small-scale development projects as well.

2) Technical Support Services - Lead Student Technician

I would be managing a group of four other students to maintain current faculty computers at my college. This is a promotion of my current job.

3) Quality Assurance Intern for Ingersoll Rand

I would be mostly debugging programs and keeping detailed reports of software tests.

-----------------------------------

Each of these will be beneficial to getting an entry-level or even mid-level IT job out of college, but I'm not sure which is best. I understand there can be more than one answer to this question, as each of these jobs may work better for different parts of the IT field (but it is possible that one job offer just really stands out). If that is the case, please explain for each job.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read this and provide a thoughtful response.

Post subject: Re: Question regarding work experience
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:02 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Software Dev, hands down.

The tech support role is your last choice and should be taken only if you need to pay rent. You've almost got a BS in CS and you already have experience in that kind of role. It is not helpful.

QA isn't bad and it is often used as an introductory role for new grads entering the work force. It allows you to learn how software is actually developed in the real world. It is also a very important but usually very underappreciated position. Most people land a QA role on their way to becoming a dev .. which is the end goal for most people getting a degree in CS.

Take the dev role .. although SAP isn't a great employer, they are huge and if you do well as an intern, they will find room for you when you graduate.

Post subject: Re: Question regarding work experience
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:00 pm 

I agree with SAP as well. Seems when I check out job situations now a days many many people want someone with SAP dev experience.