Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adobe Licensing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:44 am 

Ok, so this isn't really a cert or edu-mah-cations issue but this category seems to be the closest fit.

Without getting into too much detail...

The company I work for needs to better manage the way we do our Adobe Acrobat Writer licenses. Right now, we buy a license when a user requests one and then it gets installed on their PC. The problem is we are significantly over on our user to license count, in other words, we have more users with the software installed than we do licenses purchased. buying an Adobe site license isn't an option for us, we simply don't have enough people that need Acrobat to support the cost of a full site license.

I'm curious if anyone has a solution to this problem? Part of the problem is that we have no good exposure for version upgrades either.

Right now I'm thinking...

1. Does Adobe offer any type of floating license package?
2. Maybe our Adobe rep can come up with an answer?

Any of you corporate users out there that have any suggestions, I would appreciate it! I have a meeting this afternoon to try and come up with solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:54 am 

I'm not really understanding the issue? You have more Adobe software installed on machines then you do licenses. It seems pretty obvious that you just need to remove the Adobe software from those machines that don't have the license for it.

Why not use a spreadsheet or a database. Someone gets the license and you mark it down. They are done with it and the license gets transferred to another person then make that notation.

The license should not be a per specifice person or specific machine within a corporate setting. If so, then it is being done wrong. The license we have where I work is not tied to a specific person or machine. We have for example 500 Adobe licenses for Full Adobe Acrobat. If it's installed on 501 machines we are out of compliance, we either need to purchase another license or remove it from one machine.

The person that does this at my company does iit all through spreadsheets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:28 pm 

Phosphorous is right on, if you get hit with an audit you could be heavily fined. I would suggest like phosphorous a spreadsheet or a simple access database to keep track of them.

Post subject: Re: Adobe Licensing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:09 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

A site license is the way to go. My firm dumped Adobe as their sit elicense was to expensive ($150k), and we instead purchased a site license for Nuance PDF Converter Enterprise for $25k that covers 700 employees. It has the same, and more, features as Acrobat Professional for a fraction of the cost. You will still need Acrobat Reader installed (FREE) until web site designers actually learn to code properly, as web sites that have pdf documents posted call for Acrobat, so we were not able to totally end our dependence on Adobe, yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:23 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

methuselah wrote:
Without getting into too much detail...

Without getting into too much detail, the only available answer is to buy licenses to cover the software being used.

Otherwise, you'd have to figure out:

a) who uses the software
b) who needs to use the software
c) is it the correct software for their use
d) who is responsible for tracking installed software
e) why aren't they doing their job properly

etc.

It isn't possible to answer your question properly given the information you've provided. Talking to a rep is a good way to ensure that you'll spend the most money possible to solve something that may not even be a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:31 am 

Did we really have to necro an almost 1 year post?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:28 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

D'oh.

Locked.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]