Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anyone know of any IT specific Resume Forums?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:35 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So this was the only place I thought I might get an answer on this subject. Yes Ive been going thru google but I cant seem to find what I want.

Heres my situation if anyone cares to help.

I relocated with a company who had been bought out. I am not doing IT related work for this company atm. They recently lost one of there 4 main IT guys, I expressed my interest to the head of IT and to the HR person and she gave me a job description. "IT support analyst" was the job title. She asked if I felt that I could meet the requirements that were listed. I can but now I need to give her a resume.

One problem, I dont have experience in a working IT environment.

They should know this as I explained in detail what I knew when I sent them a very nicely written letter expressing my desire to work in there IT department.

Im told by my other IT friends that I should express my excitement and enthusiasm for the position. But how do I do that exactly?

I mean, I cant really say "This position will change my life" can I? Even though in many ways it would. Or.. "Ive always wanted to do this" doesnt quite sound right either.

What do you think?

Any sound advice is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:45 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Network Nook and Programing Paradise are aimed at IT type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 am 

If you are looking for IT types to scrutinize your resume, from an IT standpoint, might I suggest the Boardroom forum at ArsTechnica.com.

Post subject: Re: Anyone know of any IT specific Resume Forums?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:26 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

endersshadow wrote:
So this was the only place I thought I might get an answer on this subject. Yes Ive been going thru google but I cant seem to find what I want.

Heres my situation if anyone cares to help.

I relocated with a company who had been bought out. I am not doing IT related work for this company atm. They recently lost one of there 4 main IT guys, I expressed my interest to the head of IT and to the HR person and she gave me a job description. "IT support analyst" was the job title. She asked if I felt that I could meet the requirements that were listed. I can but now I need to give her a resume.

One problem, I dont have experience in a working IT environment.

They should know this as I explained in detail what I knew when I sent them a very nicely written letter expressing my desire to work in there IT department.

Im told by my other IT friends that I should express my excitement and enthusiasm for the position. But how do I do that exactly?

I mean, I cant really say "This position will change my life" can I? Even though in many ways it would. Or.. "Ive always wanted to do this" doesnt quite sound right either.

What do you think?

Any sound advice is appreciated.

You can't really say it, but you've got to show them that you truly do want to do this. Not for the money, not for the title but because you're a geek and you want to get paid to geek out.

Last year I went into an interview with no professional IT job experience. Hell, my job at the time of the interview was a cook at Wendy's. Thanks to my enthusiasm, good attitude, (and a pretty bangin' resume if I don't say so myself), I landed the job and have been Tech Support since August.

Different fields are looking for different things. In IT, experience is best, education and certs come in seconds. If you have experience, (even non-professional or "side" work), then mention that. Also, try to play off your other skills you might have, such as project management, teamwork, blah blah blah... Read a couple good do's and dont's on resume writing (A quick google is all it takes), and try to draw attention to your IT knowledge and showing some honest enthusiasm about getting the position and you shouldn't have an issue.

What sort of work have you done in the past?

If you want, PM me and I'll send you my resume just as an example.