Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:36 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Same here.

I'd like to know if the data helped them out in anyway though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:42 pm 

I have been real busy lately and sorry I neglected you guys.

Give me a couple of days and we can close this out and send you your compound

Small group here but the % response was high. Great job and thanks to all

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:48 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

CharBroiled wrote:
?

we all did this voluntarily in the spirit of open testing. anything we get in return is nice, but I didnt do it for a free tube of anything. I did it to give non biased data to the public (as well as the ICD company as required, but that is secondary).

This, exactly. We didn't know coming into this deal there was going to be any bonus offered. We did it, or at least I think most of us did, because we are into computers and custom building and getting all the bang for the buck we can out of a machine. These small tubes we got were not cheap, and I am sure the larger ones that Innovation Cooling have offered us for our efforts would be considered fairly expensive.

I want to thank Andrew and Innovation Cooling for asking us to test their fine product, only asking for simple feedback on our experience with it in return. And also thank them for their extra generosity :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:17 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

mark_b_smith_II wrote:
CharBroiled wrote:
?

we all did this voluntarily in the spirit of open testing. anything we get in return is nice, but I didnt do it for a free tube of anything. I did it to give non biased data to the public (as well as the ICD company as required, but that is secondary).

This, exactly. We didn't know coming into this deal there was going to be any bonus offered. We did it, or at least I think most of us did, because we are into computers and custom building and getting all the bang for the buck we can out of a machine. These small tubes we got were not cheap, and I am sure the larger ones that Innovation Cooling have offered us for our efforts would be considered fairly expensive.

I want to thank Andrew and Innovation Cooling for asking us to test their fine product, only asking for simple feedback on our experience with it in return. And also thank them for their extra generosity :)

Yeah, the tests were done before an extra tube of IC Diamond was mentioned, so this couldn't have caused biasing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:36 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

CharBroiled wrote:
?

I only brought it up because it had been over a month, and things get forgotten. As Andrew stated he had been busy, nobody was complaining just reminding. Some of us made real efforts to gather information for his project, and we never asked for anything in return. However, it was offered at the end a tube of the paste for our own uses. It's appreciated surely, required no, he could have just not answered.

So, Cheers, beers or what ever floats your particular mode of flotation :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:26 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

guoruiwu1994 wrote:

Yeah, the tests were done before an extra tube of IC Diamond was mentioned, so this couldn't have caused biasing.

Not quite what I was referencing, but you are correct. The statement made was simply in my eyes, a bit blunt. In a text form, it could be seen as possibly a bit pushy. Whether that was the intention of the poster, I doubt it, but it still didn't sit right with me.

In case it was taken in a negative way, I just didn't want it to reflect on myself or anyone else that wasn't worried about the bonus compound. Not trying to upset anyone, just posting my feelings on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:05 am 

Those that have posted their results - send me a PM with your address so I can validate against the posted results for your tube of ICD24 and we will close this out.

Thanks to all

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

sent, and thank you for the opportunity to test your product in an open test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:19 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

PM'd and
what charbroiled said
thanks
its been fun and educational!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Thanks! :D

I bet you guys just won yourselves a ton of lifelong customers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:06 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Whoot I got my tube yesterday :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:09 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

avanish11 wrote:

received mine also. good size tube too.

thanks Andrew! Ill be tossing some on my video card soon as I get a baseline with the stock compound. I know this results thread is done but Ill toss the results here anyway if the mods are cool with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:41 pm 

CharBroiled wrote:
avanish11 wrote:

received mine also. good size tube too.

thanks Andrew! Ill be tossing some on my video card soon as I get a baseline with the stock compound. I know this results thread is done but Ill toss the results here anyway if the mods are cool with it.

CharBroiled, Post results anytime I will use the data

I am starting to break out a couple of the niche applications from the forum tests completed so far. Notebook applications and Video Cards seem to be especially favorable with high heat loads and marginal heat sinks.

The following is from a giveaway at Notebook review. and I am in process of adding the pages to our site.
http://www.innovationcooling.com/Laptop.htm

I will post the final forum IC Diamond results in a couple of days when I get a chance.

Again Thanks for all your efforts

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:00 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

So I got my tube today and I swapped out the TIM in my second rig (as5) for
ICD7.

the lowdown

e2180 2.0ghz OC 300x10. 3.0ghz stock voltage.

cooling is a thermaltake v1 with 1 120mm fan in and 1 120mm fan out in an Antec 1050

72f room temp

Before with AS5 Idle 28c Load 44c very acceptable right

well this is what i got when I switched to ICD7

Idle 19c Load 32c.

that's after running OCCT for 15 minutes. A ten degree drop in temp is awesome.

I have to say this stuff *expletive Deleted* rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:52 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Got that mondo big tube yesterday too, can't say thanks enough! I too will do some tests with my vid cards, I never liked that thick junk they out on at the factory. I have never had any issues with the gap between the heatsink and RAM and chip using other compounds in there.

I will get some screens of temps before and after, load/no load.

Thanks again, Andrew :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:21 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Whoa, this stuff sounds awesome. I'm going to pick up some ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:51 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

just did the swap from factory compound to ICD24 on my 8400GS PCI folding card.

rig is the same as the one I used for the ICD7 CPU test: P4C 3.2, 3 gigs RAM, XP SP3, 1x 120mm filtered intake, 1x 120mm exhaust, Antec Trio 550 with 120mm, 80mm internal on slow. 8400 fan always runs at 100%

I did two runs, one with the 120mm case fans at 2000 RPM, one with them at 900 RPM.

ambient was 25 both runs measured via thermal probe at front intake. furmark was run in stability mode for 20 mins, with 20 mins cooldown between runs.

card comes stock at 570/333, its OCed to 710/460

CASE FANS AT 2000 RPM:

-STOCK:
IDLE 49
LOAD 72

-ICD24
IDLE 47
LOAD 65

CASE FANS AT 900 RPM:

-STOCK
IDLE 51
LOAD 75

-ICD24
IDLE 47
LOAD 66

900 RPM (rig is fairly quiet): temp diff was -4 degree idle, -9 degree load.
2000 RPM (rig is fairly noisy):temp diff was -2 degrees idle, -7 degrees load.

this stuff rocks :)

original stock "paste" - sorry for fuzzy pic

G98 chip.. 8 stream processors! gosh! how do they fit them all in there??

ICD24 applied via official "glop and smush" method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:56 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

got my tube in the mail yesterday
Thanks Andrew

Post subject: Re: IC Diamond Results Thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:25 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Chumly wrote:
This is the official thread for results for those who received free IC Diamond thermal compound from this thread and agreed to post their results!

(First, a few words from Andrew Lemont of Innovation Cooling)

Hello and thanks to all who have agreed to be a part of this test.

This will be the place to post your benches, test, and results from your IC Diamond 7 Carat thermal compound you received.

Introduction

At Innovation Cooling we have done extensive tests on our own compound as well as all our competitors and I can say from our results that I have never tested a compound that performs better although a couple come close initially on thermal performance due to a more liquid, lower particle bulk loading. This enables a better wetting of the surface to fill imperfections in the adjoining surfaces. They look great after the first couple hundred hours but what happens after 1000 hours? or 2000 hours? It is well documented in numerous published papers that low viscosity TIMs are prone to bake out and pump out. Intel and others in the OEM market recommend particle bulk loadings above 90% to minimize these effects. While this increases reliability in the long run as it is harder to pump a solid than a liquid and performance is measurably impacted as many here will probably have experienced when using thermal pads, gels, phase change, tapes and other OEM type products.

With IC Diamond we believe we have an ideal combination of thermal performance and reliable performance. Our data on a one inch synthetic die with thermocouples on die and sink show only a 1.1C delta @ 100 W. In other words a mechanically thermal perfect contact between the two would only net an improvement of 1.1C @ 100W.

Purified synthetic diamond has a thermal conductivity of 2,000-2,500 W/mK compared to 406-429 W/mK for pure silver.

Go to the company's home page for info on thermal performance/contact and pressure testing/troubleshooting and any other info you would like.

Application

Go to this link for correct application methods.

Every manufacturer has their own prescribed method of grease application and for this test I would use our method out of the gate and no other. The application method has been tested extensively by us and independently by over 127 forum users. Lines, grains of rice, razor film spreads, BB sized, ultrasonically spread with a vibrator, mixed with other pastes have all been tried. Our recommended application is what works. Application is simple and easy.

You may find heating it up a little bit makes it a lot easier to get out of the syringe and helps with the spreading, so mount the heatsink ASAP after application to CPU.

If you have an HDT ("Heatpipe Direct Touch") cooler you should try using the above method first and the method used for HDT coolers later if you wish to see which works best for you.

Make sure the Heatsink and CPUs are well cleaned using Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ pure, Arcti Clean, or something similar.

Data Required

I appreciate the effort here from all participating members. Any comments pro or con are welcome as well as any suggestions. There is no bad data in this test, it is what it is, just report the result.

The data we would like is:

"Before" test data prior to dismantling your system. Make sure all heatsinks and CPUs are clean, free from dust, securely mounted, etc. We would like good data.
  • Ambient temps to be taken at idle and load
  • Idle and load temps obviously. Use a program like LINPACK, Prime95 or OCCT and set to max stress the CPU and allow to run for 10-20 minutes or until temps stabilize.
  • Use Core Temp or Real Temp as these seem to give the most accurate readings. Real Temp also shows the max temp each core reaches during the load test. If you use another program just note down which one
  • Note initial comparison paste and any exceptional conditions as well as heat sink type
  • PWM disabled so fan speed is constant for both tests
  • Note your system specs and settings
  • Remount with IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound and repeat as above
  • Submit results for any TIMs you use as a comparison also so we can compare results
Feel free to make any observations, comments or suggestions. We are trying to refine our message, application and problem troubleshooting so the information you supply to us is valuable to us and much appreciated.

That's basically it. You are pretty much on your own, whatever result you get is what it is. I may comment occasionally or suggest troubleshooting points but not much else. At the end of the exercise we will provide a chart of the results with links to the data for viewing and suggested corrections.

Thanks again all for your time and effort!

What is the HDT method? It was never mentioned in the OP and I'm having very poor results (much worse than AS3 and "white stuff"). Please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:12 pm 

This is from my guy in Australia as to what works best for him

Quote:
Fill in the gaps between the Heatpipes and fins. Rub the IC Diamond in to the gaps very well to make sure there are no air pockets. ( Any air pockets or tiny bubbles between CPU and Cooler can greatly affect results.) Also warm up the HDT Cooler and the IC Diamond so they are easier to work with. This allows you to work the thicker compound into the gaps more effectively. Otherwise it can be a little hard to make it stay between the pipes and aluminium fins.

Then wipe off any excess leaving only the TIM between the heatpipes and aluminium fins and perhaps leaving a very slight haze over the copper of the heatpipes.

Then apply to HDT Cooler as you do with all other coolers, a pea sized blob on the CPU. Or the 2 thin lines on the aluminium fins. Try both and see which works best for your setup. The blob has worked best for me.

One last thing. Prior to application make sure the HSF and CPU are clean. To do this use Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ pure (This is available from the chemist Drug store, and is very inexpensive.) and a lint free cloth or coffee filter paper. A clean HSF and CPU are very important for best performance. Good luck.

The thin lines were difficult to do as the IC Diamond is as thick as it is but can be done if the compound is warmed up well beforehand. I also found warming up the CPU with a hair dryer just before applying the IC Diamond helped get a more even spread when attaching the cooler.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next