Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SFF computer for Steam in-home streaming?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:58 am 

I'm looking for a small form factor computer to hook up to my TV (1080p) and play my Steam games. When I thought about asking here, I was going to ask what I could build to run Steam natively (either as a SteamOS box, or Windows), but I've just realized that I could easily wire it straight in to my router and just use Steam In-Home Streaming.

I'm not up on SFF computers AT ALL, but I've done lots of desktop builds, and I'm willing to tackle a tiny build--heck, I'm willing to buy something outright, if that would be less expensive.

I don't need a ton of horsepower. I mostly play racing games (Burnout: Paradise City and Dirt 3 lately) and local co-op stuff with my girlfriend, using XBox 360 controllers (Trine, The Cave, etc).

So, budget-wise am I better off to build something to run Steam natively or use In-Home Streaming? Do I just buy an Intel NUC? Do I build from scratch? Any good recommendations on box, motherboard, etc? For budget, cheaper is better. $300 would be awesome, but $600 is probably the most I can afford.

Thanks for the input!

Post subject: Re: SFF computer for Steam in-home streaming?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:11 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I've used the in-home streaming, it's actually pretty nifty. For a test run (when I first saw it on my account), I used my Win8 tablet and it worked pretty well. Minimal input lag too and I was playing F1 2013, so something that requires you to react pretty quickly. And it is cross-OS compatible as I tried it again on my Mac Mini.

So for this build, you can certainly get away with as cheap as possible:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD 5150 1.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI AM1I Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 320GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec ISK 110 VESA Mini ITX Desktop Case w/90W Power Supply ($62.20 @ Amazon)
Total: $231.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 16:10 EDT-0400

The case comes with a PSU and it's small enough to be VESA mounted.

However there is a caveat to streaming: the computer who's hosting it is running the game as if you were there. So local co-op will need to be played as if you were playing on that machine (i.e., split screen or otherwise).

Post subject: Re: SFF computer for Steam in-home streaming?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 am 

Thanks very much for the input. The build looks great (although I can step up to a 2Ghz processor for $10 more so I'll probably do that).

I think I'm going to give SteamOS a try on this little guy, but I'm a bit worried about compatibility with my inputs during streaming. I've got a generic receiver for wireless Xbox controllers, and I play a good bit of Rocksmith. The Xbox controllers should work, I've read, but the Rocksmith situation seems pretty iffy. If I have to pick up a copy of Windows 7, no biggie.

Thanks again for the help!