Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking at OC'ing a 2500+ AMD Barton...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:14 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all. I've got a brand new 2500+ Barton, Abit NF7-S mobo, and 512mb Mushkin Enhanced DDR 400 (PC3200).

What I'm wondering is how my cpu temps are compared to average. I've got the thing right now stable at 170mhz x 11, with a 6/6 memory ratio, @ 46 C.

The problem is that earlier today, before I oc'ed it 44mhz, it was up to 50 C. This was due to the air outside reaching about 80-85F (27-29C) My system never got all that hot, maybe 35-40C. The mainboard temp right now is 31C, but I've got the window open, and it's 17C outside, but there is no wind so it's still quite warm in here, maybe 25C.

Anyway, I've got some AS5 coming in the mail. I was wondering just how much of drop I should expect with the AS5. Along with that, how much an increase I should expect going up to 200mhz x 11. That way, I'll be able to get some idea how hot this thing will get, or not get.

TIA,
Dan O.

And oh yeah, I'm running a Whisper Rock II HS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:00 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Read here for proper application instructions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silv ... ctions.htm

There will be an increase in temps from upping your fsb, but you will be fine. My guess is you'll be hovering in the mid 50s under load, which is just fine.

GL and post back w/ your results :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:15 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Thanks!

I just joined the folding at home team. I've got about 3% done and so far have yet to exeed 46C.

I was so happy when I was able to change the frequency of the CPU, and actually have it change!

I can have my CPU at any speed from 2500+ to 3200+ and up! Though I will most likely stick with 3200 or possibly below.

Thanks,
Will be posting back once I get the AS5,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:06 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Well, somehow my order of AS5 didn't go through. I think my old failing system had something to do with it.

Anyway, I've pumped the FSB to 175mhz, keeping the multiplier at 11x. So, right now I'm at about 1930mhz. The temp ouside warmed up agian today, so the CPU got up to 55C. I have since opened the other window, and removed the side pannel from the case. It's now at a pretty steady 52C, while folding!

Yeah, I've been folding ever since my last post. Not one hangup yet :) . This morning I had it at 170mhz x 11, and it was at 46C, but that was with the window open, and the outside temp at about 17C. That's when I decided to pump it up to 175mhz x 11, it only went up 2.5C;).

I guess it will be another 3 or 4 days before I get that AS5. I think I'll leave my FSB alone until then, unless it warms up around here. It can get up to the 90's F around here quite unexpectedly.

I'll update this thread once I get the AS5,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:55 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I just oc'd my 2500+ to 3200+ (200Mhz FSB x 11) with the stock HSF and was getting 53C under load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:20 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

You must either live in a cool environment or have the AC on.

My problem with temps is that it gets in the mid 90's some days around here. It hasn't gotten that hot since early June, but we're usually in the mid 80's around this time. That's about 10F or 5.5C difference from 75.

That's why I've been waiting for some AS5. Right now I have to AC options. The first option is to put a window air conditioner in the room I have the computer in. The second option is to put AC in my bedroom. I don't use my bedroom for anything but sleeping, but I sleep 8 hours a day.

Decisions decisions :roll:

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:23 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Ah, I just noticed your location, Canada!

No wonder you can keep the thing at those temps with stock cooling!

I live in northern Illinois. We are about a 12 hour drive from the Canadian border, but that's mainly becase Lake Superior lies right in our path. We can get up Lake Superior in about 7 hours

Lol,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:32 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Lol, I just remembered where Windsor was in Canada. Your probably only a few degrees north of us.

I remember tracking a package that I bought on Ebay, it headed through Windsor at one point.

It's kinda funny how that part of Canada goes so far south, you're really at the southernmost region of Canada.

I've been about 400 miles north of your lattitude and still been here in the USA.

Lol again,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:07 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Sorry for the long delay.

Windsor is actually South of Detroit. During the summer it gets in the 80's and 90's Fahrenheit.

When under load the highest I've seen temps were 57C for the cpu and 28 for the mobo. This was in the last week of June. If it gets really hot this weekend I'll look at the temps again and let you know the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:14 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Thanks,

I've got my AMD Barton 2500+ now at 2.2ghz! That's 3200+!

Of course, now that I'm folding my temps are going up, at 53C right now. :(

The ambient temp in this room feels about 22-23C, and the mainboard is reading 38C. Damn, that's too hot for a mainboard, I need a better case!

Damn, CPU is now at 54C. If it get's above 57 I'll bring the FSB back down some. Now at 55C. Perhaps I shouldn't be folding?:roll:

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:12 am 
Celeron
Celeron

actually, you should be folding to see how high the temps are and if its stable after the o/c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:20 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

ocnoob wrote:
actually, you should be folding to see how high the temps are and if its stable after the o/c.

Yeah, I was just worried that folding might put it over the brink.

Fortunatley, it's been quite stable between 54 and 56C. Hasn't hung up yet, and it's been a few hours.

I'm not sure what will happen if the ambient temps go up though. Room temp is still quite cool at about 27 C. I suppose the warmest it will get around here is 35C, which would probably put the CPU at 64C. That's the temp that AMD reccomends keeping 70w CPUs at or below. Of course, you really can't dammage an AMD CPU till your well into the 80-90s celcius. However, I'm sure I will notice a stability drop before then ;)

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:56 am 
Evil Overclockin' Genius
Evil Overclockin' Genius

27C is a cool room temp?...my room is at 22.7C, which is about 73F...guess that's why I can run my Barton all day long at 233mhz FSB...MUWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!... :shock:

http://webpages.charter.net/imthetechguy/barton.JPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:19 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Lol,

This room on a hot day can get well into the 30's celcius. One of my problems is that one window sits about 6" off the garage roof, which is covered in black shingles.

One day about a week ago this CPU was running at 60C, and that was with only a 175mhz FSB. :shock:

The outside temp right now is 23C, but I think this room is still about 2-5C warmer than that, judging by how cool it feels when the wind blows in.

Actally, I quite like it in the mid to upper 20's C. Those are the temps I'm most comfortable in. Unfortunately, we only get those temps for about 3 months out of the year, and even then, it's often off and on.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:20 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Oh, BTW, today this thing has been keeping quite stable at 53C :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:29 am 
Evil Overclockin' Genius
Evil Overclockin' Genius

I have to go to Illinois, St. Louis specifically, several times a year...temps there are pretty equal to temps here, I just keep the A/C kinda low...one thing I noticed in particular was your choice of heatsink...from what I've read on it, it's quite sufficient for stock and mild overclocking usage, but if you wanted to lower your temps, i.e. more stability, I'd suggest you try another heatsink... :o

BTW< mine runs quite stable at 42C... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:56 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Clock2theMax wrote:
I have to go to Illinois, St. Louis specifically, several times a year...temps there are pretty equal to temps here, I just keep the A/C kinda low...one thing I noticed in particular was your choice of heatsink...from what I've read on it, it's quite sufficient for stock and mild overclocking usage, but if you wanted to lower your temps, i.e. more stability, I'd suggest you try another heatsink... :o

BTW< mine runs quite stable at 42C... ;)

Yeah he needs to ditch that heatsink for shizzle. The alk800 is always a good deal...replaced my mcx462 with one and i love it.

Wazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hey Belboz99

My brother had the air conditioning on so I couldn't check to see what the cpu temps are like at higher ambient room temps.

I'm probably going to get better cooling anyway just to be safe... and to overclock further!!