Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Should I use my 60GB SSD for win7..?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:15 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey all,

I've started my new build tonight (I tested all my parts outside the case and took my old parts out of my case to reuse it) .

I plan to reuse my 60GB SSD from my last build, and was thinking about using it to put my Win 7 home premium 64 os on. The problem is that I didnt erase the files (game files, and steam) from the SSD before taking apart the computer( due to my ignorance of SSDs).

First, is it worth putting my Win7 os on it?
second, is there a way to erase the SSD right before I install win7?

Thanks for the help!!

Post subject: Re: Should I use my 60GB SSD for win7..?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:50 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

First, Yes.
Second, Yes.

Always install the OS on the ssd. Treat it just like an hdd upon install. It's the same deal, windows will align the disk format and partition it correctly. There are however some steps after the installation is complete for real optimization.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:01 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

kleinkinstein wrote:
First, Yes.
Second, Yes.

Always install the OS on the ssd. Treat it just like an hdd upon install. It's the same deal, windows will align the disk format and partition it correctly. There are however some steps after the installation is complete for real optimization.

Im petty sure the ssd is almist completely full from steam and the games i had on it. There isn't enough space for win7. Will that be a problem or does the computer just write over those files when it does the formatting and partitioning? Yhat would be great if it does.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:57 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You should use a utility (preferably from the manufacturer) to ensure that the SSD is erased completely properly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
You should use a utility (preferably from the manufacturer) to ensure that the SSD is erased completely properly.

Darn, that means i would need to rebuild my old pc again and then use the utility? Ill see if i can fine the utility for ocz...
...are there any easier options?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can use Parted Magic on a CD, it's basically a live Linux distro with hard drive utilities on it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:53 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

After looking around a bit, a TON of people are saying that it isnt worth putting the OS on a 60GB SSD or smaller..?

Im wondering if I should jut use it for Photoshop and/or games?

or I can build my new computer and install win7 on a HDD, then reformat/erase the SSD with one of those programs you suggested and then re install win 7 again but on the SSD...either way, it seems like it will be a head ache if I want to put win7 on the SSD.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You don't need to rebuild your old computer. Using any other utility other than whats built in the Windows 7 disc is a waste of time unless your housing secure government documents and need a secure wipe. Boot up from the CD and it will show your HDD and you will see an option called FORMAT, hit it and erase that drive and then load Windows.

60GB is MORE THAN ENOUGH space for Win 7, don't listen to what everyone else is saying. I have a 64gb SSD, 10 GB is unpartitioned space (per intels instructions), and I have Office 2010, VMWare Workstation, and about 15 other minor programs installed and still have 35GB free. 60GB is plenty of space.......now put the DVD in your new computer and start formatting your SSD.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Masterchi wrote:
You don't need to rebuild your old computer. Using any other utility other than whats built in the Windows 7 disc is a waste of time unless your housing secure government documents and need a secure wipe. Boot up from the CD and it will show your HDD and you will see an option called FORMAT, hit it and erase that drive and then load Windows.

60GB is MORE THAN ENOUGH space for Win 7, don't listen to what everyone else is saying. I have a 64gb SSD, 10 GB is unpartitioned space (per intels instructions), and I have Office 2010, VMWare Workstation, and about 15 other minor programs installed and still have 35GB free. 60GB is plenty of space.......now put the DVD in your new computer and start formatting your SSD.

THANKS!! That sounds a lot easier :) I'll do it today. Thanks thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:36 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have my computer built and am starting to load up windows on my SSD, but when I get to the, "Where do you want to install Windows" screen, I get a message at the bottom (pertaining to the SSD drive) that says, "Windows cannot be installed to Disk 2 Partition 1 (show details)...I click on it to see the details and the details say:

"Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

Ive looked around and Im confused as to what I should do..?
Should I go into the bios and somehow change the ssd to a GPT?

please help, thanks!

Also: I allready formated the ssd drive but that didnt work...should I use the "DELETE" button?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Do you have any other hard drives plugged in your new computer? If so then unplug them all and just leave your SSD plugged in. Yes, select the delete option and ensure all partitions are deleted until your left with an "Unpartitioned space" option (i believe thats what it is). From there just hit install and let us know what you get.

Also, do you have the install disc in a Blu-ray drive or a dvd drive?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

THANKS ALL...

I was looking around different forums on the web and ran across something that helped solve my problem...For some reason it had to do with my DVD drive not being set as sata in the bios..weird. It worked though, and now im just getting programs loaded and testing out performance.

Thanks again