Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Water cooling, overclocking 9950BE & MSI GT630 4GB HELP!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:15 pm 

Hey everyone, I'll keep this post short and sweet. I'm upgrading my system in a number of ways. I'll be using water cooling on the cpu since I want to overclock as much as possible. I also want to overclock my graphics card. My current PC is from 2006 and needs some much over-due upgrades so I'll list what's going on and hopefully someone will be able to give me some pointers as to how I can do it all safely without frying it.

MY PC:
Case: Thermaltake AV8000BWS
P/S: OCZ GameXstream 700W
Mobo: Asus M2N-E
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 - UPGRADING TO: AMD Phenom II X4 9950 BE 2.6Ghz
RAM: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 800MHz - UPGRADING TO: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1066MHz
GPU: Geforce 7600 512Mb - UPGRADING TO: MSI Geforce GT630 4GB
Cooling: Corsair H70CORE w/ 2 x CoolerMaster 120mm Fans (69.69cfm) for push/pull.
HHD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 64mb cache

I bought the H70 before I checked to see what it needed for power connection to the mobo. I saw a video online that showed a 3 pin connector so I looked at my mobo online and it doesn't appear to have the proper connection so I was wondering if there is a cable conversion that I can use to bridge the two and make it work?

Also, once I have the cooler working I would obviously like to OC my cpu but I've never done that before and it's an old mobo without an "easy oc" method. Can anyone give me a walk-through of how to OC it properly? I would also like to OC my GPU but that may be easily done on my own with the Afterburner software MSI provides. I've heard it's a great, easy to use software but I've also heard the opposite so if anyone has used it before and could give me a few pointers I would appreciate it.

Thank you :)