Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Might be overheating but not sure.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:18 am 

Well I feel like I'm kind of on a PC building/education evolution. I'm still very new to everything, but as I progress I find myself more and more interested and on a quest for knowledge.

So my first build :
Cooler Master Elite 430 Case
Asuss P8z68-V LE mobo
Intel i5 2500k - stock
Corsair Vengeance 1333 RAM - 8gb (4- 2gb sticks)
MSI gtx 660ti PE GPU
Antec Basiq 500w PSU
LG E2360V-PN - 23" monitor 1920x1080

I have 3 of these case fans at the moment:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103022
two are top-rear exhaust and one is the bottom-front intake.

I potentially have room for 3 more case fans: one on the side panel, one on the bottom of the case just past the PSU and one more top exhaust.

My cable management is okay and airflow appears to not be restricted. I also recently installed the video card and took the time to blow all the dust out...

So far I really haven't stressed my rig with a high end game because, well, I don't have one yet! But I have been playing Tribes Ascend and APB Reloaded (don't judge! They are F2P!) Anyways, Tribes has been great but I have noticed my CPU is heating over 70c after about an hour in, but it hasn't crashed. Last night while on ABP for just around an hour, my rig started freezing and crashing. Sound would lock and distort and my screen would freeze. I had to force a restart. I checked some sensors and it appears that I might be overheating.

If this is the case, I have a few questions.
1.Should I install more case fans? If so, I will need a fan controller because I don't have room to plug in on the mobo.
2.Should I consider a Heatsink? Seems the consensus is the Hyper 212 Evo is the best bang for buck, and affordability is my friend. Any comparable suggestions are appreciated too.
3.With these potential additions, is my PSU adequate? I used a PSU calculator and it appears that I would be fine..

Here are some before and after numbers from running a short test with MSI Kombustor