Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrading Gaming PC, appreciate advice.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:24 pm 

I recently had my CPU fail on me(it's a long story...), so I'm building up the guts of a new PC. At a minimum I need to replace my CPU, Motherboard and RAM. My previous Graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4850) was performing fine before the failure, so I'll be sticking with it for the time being, but will probably replace later as needed. My previous power supply is a Corsair Powersupply 520W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 4xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150

I'm also thinking of supplementing my old 1 TB internal hard drive with an SSD.

In terms of overclocking, I'd be interested in having the option of doing it, but not if I need to outlay a lot of money to optimize for it.

I'm planning on using Windows 7, and maybe Linux.

Here's what I'm thinking of buying:
Asus P8Z77-V family motherboard(see question 1 below)
Intel Core i5-3570 S1155 3.4GHz 6MB

Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) XMS3 1600MHz DDR3 240-pin DIMM CL11

Samsung 256GB 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive Desktop Kit
or
Samsung 128GB 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive Desktop Kit

Besides general feedback regarding compatibility I have a few specific questions:
1. Which specific Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard should I get. They range from 113E to 257E and a variety of prices in between. I don't want to spend masses of cash on a motherboard, but I also don't want to get a motherboard that's gimped. If anyone can suggest a specific model among all of these I'd be much obliged. I'm open to other manufacturers too, but I thought this line of Motherboards looked the best. I'd like to to have the option to overclock, but not if doing so well requires me to spend a lot more.

2. Is 16 GB of Ram overkill? I'm also not sure how to judge different RAM models which have the same clock speed and size, but are differently priced (for instance, is it really necessary for my RAM to have Heat sinks?). Confirmation that this is solid RAM would be great.

3. I'm fairly set on the I5 3570 CPU, but should I bother with the K variant? I don't see myself overclocking in the short term, but having the option would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any advice .