Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro vs Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm collecting parts for a new build, and have narrowed my motherboard choices to the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro and the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H. I'm interested in feedback regarding how they compare in terms of quality, reliability, and stability.

Post subject: Re: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro vs Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have the Asus board......I might be biased but i say get that board. Realistically all boards are near identical its just a matter of does it have the inputs you want (right number of Sata 3, USB 3, PCI-e, etc) and if the price is right. Gigabyte and Asus are both good brands so you can't go wrong with either. Like I said, I have the Asus so if you have any specific questions that maybe weren't answered in any reviews you saw that let me know and I can answer that for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:23 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Masterchi wrote:
I have the Asus board......I might be biased but i say get that board. Realistically all boards are near identical its just a matter of does it have the inputs you want (right number of Sata 3, USB 3, PCI-e, etc) and if the price is right. Gigabyte and Asus are both good brands so you can't go wrong with either. Like I said, I have the Asus so if you have any specific questions that maybe weren't answered in any reviews you saw that let me know and I can answer that for you.

Does it provide for adjusting fan speed for 3-pin fans?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:36 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yes. The only thing thats "wonky" with fan speeds from what i noticed is having two fans with different RPM speeds on the same header( you shouldn't have that problem as you probably won't set two different fans on the same header i hope). Also, my CPU cooler is the Corsair H80 and the corsair device controls its own fans so the MOBO can not control the fans speeds nor does it even recognize any RPMs at all. I'm sure I could swap the cables to give my motherboard control but I'd rather let Corsair control it and the corsair device has a fan controller built in that i can adjust so I leave it on that.

Also, another odd quirk is when i plugged a drive into the ASMEDIA SATA port (only Intel or asmedia as choices) it adds a quick splash after the BIOS splash identifying a device plugged into the ASMEDIA port. It blips by quickly (about 2-3 seconds) but was a bit annoying. Once i unplugged the device and placed it in the Intel ports it never showed up again. Very odd and annoying.

Another issue is trouble getting into the BIOS. Del key should get you in the BIOS and the first week or two it was perfect. Now its as if the del key doesn't work anymore. I've tried it a million times (pressing repeatedly, holding, pressing before BIOS splash, pressing during BIOS splash, etc) and nothing. Workaround was to hit the F8 key to bring up the boot device list and then select SETUP menu.

These are minor annoyances that you might not even experience and you'd probably get similar annoying quirks on the gigabyte board too so.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:19 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I am currently using the Gigabyte motherboard with a 2500k cpu. Max PC has compared both motherboards and gave the ASUS a 9 and the Gigabyte a 8. The reason why the ASUS got a better score was because you can adjust the ASUS's fan speeds in Window where the Gigabytes you can only do it in the BIOS. However the Gigabyte has a ESATA port where the ASUS doesn't.

Max PC found that you can manually overclock better with the ASUS board however the automatic overclocking on the Gigabyte is better. I have seen 4.7G on my 2500k (3.2/3.7) using a Corsair H60 CPU cooler.

The other feature that I like is that there is 3 x USB 3.0 headers and either 2 or 3 (I forget) x USB 2.0 headers. One of the USB 2.0 headers is high powered so it will charge your devices faster than a normal USB port.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:36 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Here is a good review on the Gigabyte I just read on Anandtech, it kinda changed my mind about recommending the Gigabyte board to people.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Review

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:29 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ness.EarthBound wrote:
Here is a good review on the Gigabyte I just read on Anandtech, it kinda changed my mind about recommending the Gigabyte board to people.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Review

Thanks for the read! I had never even heard of DPC latency.