Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How low can we go?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:21 pm 

This is my current hardware. http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2459291
My mission is to see how low can I go on voltage. I currently have my processor running stock, with a Cooler Master 212 Evo.
At idle the the voltage in CPUZ is 0.828. I can't seem to change this in my BIOS. At full load my voltage shows 1.188 volts. Also, something that should be made and stickied is a list of common BIOS settings, useful to Over/Under Clocker/Volters.

Also, maybe you guys can post your best undervolting on your own chips, as I am looking for an upgrade when I have the cash.

Last edited by Alex.W on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How low can we go?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:25 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Alex.W wrote:
At idle the the voltage in CPUZ is 0.828. I can't seem to change this in my BIOS. At full load my voltage shows 1.188 volts. Also, something that should be made and stickied is a list of common BIOS settings, useful to Over/Under Clocker/Volters.

The problem with this is that implementation of the BIOS depends on the vendor. And settings are not entirely universal. It really depends on the quality of the electronics and if for some reason you have a batch that likes some things but not others.

Also why are you undervolting and looking for an upgrade? Just get a lower tiered processor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:05 pm 

I am not looking for an upgrade, I just bought that processor for dirt cheap, and it will have to do for a year or two, until I have the cash for something that is more powerful. I have read that the Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition is overvolted at factory to support overclocking. I will not be overclocking and therefore am trying to save money on power bills by reducing the power consumption.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:45 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, if Wikipedia is accurate, then Phenom II's operate at an overall lower voltage range than Core 2 Duo. And lower meaning their high and low ends are lower.