Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help picking a CPU and Motherboard
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:45 pm 

I've been looking at the Sweet Spot Build from May 2012. I like the computer, but if possible I wanted to see about a cheaper processor and motherboard. I'm hoping with a little cheaper cpu and motherboard I could spend a little more on a videocard. This would be my second build and I am trying to research more this time through. I want to build a PC for playing MMO's (Wow, Guild Wars 2, etc.), RPG's, and RTS that will cost around $800.

I've done some research and have seen that the Core i5-2500K is a power house of a cpu, but I've been looking for a cheaper cpu. Looking through Newegg I found the
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor for $120. I have a few questions concerning this processor:

1. Is this a good processor to use for what I want to do?

2. Is this a processor that will be good for 2 or more years, or will I be replacing it next summer?

3. I've looked at multiple mother boards through Newegg that have the correct socket type and other factors, but when I check their compatibility from the company's website it shows that the motherboard does not support this processor. Does the motherboard have to have the processor listed on its compatibility list to work, or will the processor still work regardless?

I should have stated earlier that I am not partial to AMD or Intel, I am just looking for a good buy for something around the $150 range or lower. I would like to If the Phenom II 965 is a poor choice is there another processor I could look into?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Help picking a CPU and Motherboard
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:11 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

AMD doesn't have a CPU, with one or two exceptions, that can beat the 2500K. I'd stick with Intel CPUs, here's something to check out:
i5-2300 saves you $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115076
ASUS P8Z68-V saves you $25 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115076
and move up to the EVGA GTX570 vidcard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

No need to step off a 2500k, since they can be had for $170 at MicroCenter. Just pair it up with a solid Z77 mobo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:46 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I suggest the keeping the Core i5-2500K in your build because it might outlast any other option in the near future (esp when oc'ed) at that price point. I'd personally use a Core i5-3570K Ivy though, but it is a few bucks more.

If you need to spend less on a mobo, I think perhaps this ASRock might work. In general, most people will suggest an ASUS of Gigabyte, but those boards will start around $100 or so.

I'm certain you can get a smaller PSU, something in the 500-600 watt range like this Antec and save there.

Imho, splurge on the case to your liking because that is what you will see :)

If it makes sense to you, get a smaller 90 gb SSD. They have been priced to move at about $65 lately.

By strategic if possible - have a wish list and buy stuff of sale.

Lastly, the less you spend on your build, the more chance it will become obsolete sooner. For example, if you get that 750w Corsair PSU suggested in the MaxPC article, you will probably be able to recycle it for your next build or for another pc. The 550w Antec I linked to may not last past this build.