Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IDE to SATA adapter problems
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:52 pm 

Hiya, folks! Recently, I finally was able to upgrade my system with a new motherboard and CPU. The one small problem is that, although this mobo has four SATA-300 ports, it has only ONE IDE port, to which both my DVD drive and my primary hard drive are currently connected. I have bought a couple of IDE-to-SATA adapters, but when I plugged them into the drives and connected each of them up (one at a time) to the system, the system detected the ports, but did NOT detect the drives them selves at all! Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance! (BTW, if this is the wrong forum subsection, my apologies. I was unsure as to whether to use this one, or the "Free Clinic.")

Post subject: Re: IDE to SATA adapter problems
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:23 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Something I'm seeing here with these adapters is that they don't supply power to the drive. So I'm going to ask the dumb question: did you make sure your drives are powered up?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:57 pm 

I should have mentioned that the adapter did have a power adapter--a 2-pin SATA-to-Molex adapter, similar to the fan connectors on my motherboard. I tried both that and the regular Molex power plug on the drive itself. Neither one worked! That makes me wonder if maybe my 450-watt power supply wasn't quite up to the extra load, especially since my CPU is rated at 95 watts, AND I have 4 case fans to boot (because the CPU runs hot!)! I know for a fact that both the drives I tested worked before I pulled them out of my old PC, so that's the only thing I can think of that might have been the cause. Thanks again for the assistance!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:46 am 

Here's an update on this situation: After being advised to do so, I removed the jumpers from the hard drive (since SATA does not need jumper settings), and plugged power leads into BOTH the adapter AND the drive itself. The result? Nothing--zip--nada--zilch! I'm now beginning to conclude that the adapter itself may be to blame--either that or perhaps the SATA ports themselves (which would mean that I would need to replace the motherboard itself!). My next course of action, therefore, will be to replace the adapter with a different one. If that fails, my next step will be to purchase an external hard drive enclosure, and then to buy a SATA hard drive when I can afford to do so. Any alternative suggestions would be more than welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:48 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well some things to note...
  • Was the IDE drive was set to master?
  • Was your SATA controller, at least for that port, set to IDE mode?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:35 am 

I initially had it set on "cable select, " and my current system drive (which is also IDE) as also set that way. Since there is only one IDE channel, I am having to run both my DVD drive and my hard drive from that channel. I did not see any "IDE mode" in the BIOS setup screen. Instead, there is a setting to "preconfig PATA before (or after SATA). I've tried it both ways, but still with no success.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:06 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I don't have a solution to your dilemma, but one option might be to purchase a cheap SATA optical drive for $20-ish? That way, you can keep your HDD on your one and only IDE port. And you can reuse it in your next build - your much, needed next build :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 pm 

Many thanks for your suggestion! I am already planning such a move. First, however, I will be investigating re-flashing or replacing the BIOS chip, as I now have reason to believe it has become corrupted. I can't help wondering if this might also have affected the system's ability to recognize the presence of ANY drive, whether hard or optical! Any comments or suggestions?