Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SSD for Website design/setup ???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:51 am 

Hey guys,
Need some advice here,
I need to get a new hard drive for my 2nd PC that the wife uses to manage, setup, modify etc, her website store.
She is using excel for updating 20k products pricing/availability then uploading to the server. also uploading/re sizing product pictures. constantly downloading very large files, modifying them, uploading them and then deleting them from the hard drive, then next week do it again.

Im not sure if a SSD is good for a application like this or is she better off to stick with a WD 640gig Black Edition HD? the faster the HD the better to process all the excel files and photos, but also needs to be rock solid.

Thanks for any/all advice you might have here

Ken

Post subject: Re: SSD for Website design/setup ???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:52 am 

Your upload/download speed is determined by your ISP and only way to increase the speed is by seeing if they have a option to upgrade to a higher speed.
The SSD will help in read/write speeds and probably wont offer much in terms of processing, the processing speed will improve on upgrading your memory and processor.
I just upgraded my harddrive to SSD but when i edit photos and process them, I dont see a speed increase.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:06 am 

tony2tonez wrote:
Your upload/download speed is determined by your ISP and only way to increase the speed is by seeing if they have a option to upgrade to a higher speed.
The SSD will help in read/write speeds and probably wont offer much in terms of processing, the processing speed will improve on upgrading your memory and processor.
I just upgraded my harddrive to SSD but when i edit photos and process them, I dont see a speed increase.

For some reason I thought I read somewhere a while ago that SSD's are not good for people who are downloading/editing/deleting files & pics non stop. Some weeks my wife will download/edit/upload/delete 2-3 gigs of info/pictures.

???

Thanks
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:37 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The only issue you may have over time is degraded write performance as your SSD will have to start erasing pages before programming them.

I don't see how an SSD would help here anyway. A web page implies you're trying to save as much space as possible because you don't want your users to sit around waiting for the page to load. HDDs can provide all the bandwidth you need and the only thing you'll save is response times which would only be a problem if the drive is really fragmented.