Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My soon to be $2k build, don't let me mess this up!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:11 am 

I plan to buy this build real soon (at least 2 weeks from now), so I started planning the parts I need. My goal with the computer is primarily for gaming. I have never owned a desktop myself ,but have plenty of experience building them, do thats not a problem.

Some goals:
-The price of $2k needs to include a monitor and keyboard. I am willing to go over budget slightly if I have too, but only if its worth it.
-Good gaming performance
-I can pop in my car if i need to take it somewhere, so I don't want it to massive
-Not going to be too noisy
-I really do want an SSD
-Because of my Prime Membership, I would like to buy everything on Amazon.

So knowing all this, I put together a preliminary build. What do you think?

http://amzn.com/w/2JFYAZKURXLOB

Right now the build stands at $50 under budget.

Post subject: Re: My soon to be $2k build, don't let me mess this up!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:12 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Intel is releasing new CPUs in a few weeks you should really wait for those.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

^^agreed. The 2700K you have listed will be beaten by the Ivy bridge 3770k come April 29th by about 10-15% in performance at the same price....at the very least, if you wanted to stay with the 2700K build it will be cheaper with the release of the new Ivy Bridge chips in a month. Wait.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:48 am 

Thanks guys, other than the processor, which I will probably upgrade to 3770k, how does the build look?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:31 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

better heatsink and cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyp ... 307&sr=8-1

I would probably get a cheaper case, with Corsair cases you are paying extra for the name unless you really like the looks of it. And the gtx 680 is out now and it is the same price as the 580 and beats it. I would also either get this wireless card http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Systems-DW ... 503&sr=1-1 or this one: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Wireless-N-G ... =pd_cp_e_3 That is if you are going to be gaming over wireless. And with the new processors they are also releasing new motherboards so you will likely want to reassess that choice too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:58 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Masterchi wrote:
^^agreed. The 2700K you have listed will be beaten by the Ivy bridge 3770k come April 29th by about 10-15% in performance at the same price....at the very least, if you wanted to stay with the 2700K build it will be cheaper with the release of the new Ivy Bridge chips in a month. Wait.

Some Sandy Bridge processors may be marked down as a result of the new release. You could consider those as an option too afterward. An Intel i7 3830k CPU is a good deal for what it does on the x79 platform. The Intel i7 3860X is a tiny bit better and is not worth an extra $400. I would choose an x77 mobo with either an Intel i7 2700K or i7 3770K CPU depending on the price performance ratio. If you have already bought it, then just stick with Sandy Bridge. One Nvidia Geforce GTX680 should be enough for the time being. The company is said to be releasing their flagship cards GTX685 and GTX690 later this year. None of this has been confirmed yet. As for the chassis, get a roomy solid built aluminum frame. A retail cheapo will not pay off in the long run. Companies like Lian Li command a high premium. Fractal Design builds awesome chassis for the money. I highly recommend them. You could mount carrying handles on the top of any case to make it more portable. Desktops are not exactly meant to be carried around that much anyhow. I think it is much better to buy a good gaming laptop in that situation. Wish you luck on your future build!