Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need some advice on memory
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:39 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'm looking for some memory that will be able to clock at least to 1600 (hopefully higher), but will also have the lowest latency possible at 1600 &/or 1333. I currently have an Intel i7 930 @ 3.8 GHz with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard and 3x 2GB of GeIL 1333 (9-9-9-24, iirc) @ 1033 or so.

I plan on upgrading my system in the future and I will be using the RAM that I purchase now for that build (a 4P, AMD G34 server system, most likely). I will be building this system in a year or two. I know that the memory for it can only run at 1333/1600 max (depending on CPU), so that's why I want the lowest latency that I can get at those speeds (I've seen people running anywhere from 6 to 9, I'd prefer <=7).

The main thing that I do with my computer(s) is Folding @ home. I don't game.

Here is what I am looking at, but I'm open to other suggestions. I've only really looked on newegg thus far.

Post subject: Re: Need some advice on memory
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Your current processor can only handle up to 1066 speeds of ram (check Intel ark) so you will notice no speed changes at all by upgrading the ram now. Why not save the money and upgrade the ram when your ready to upgrade the system as well like you said you wanted to do. Why waste money on fast ram now that will not benefit you at all and then a year to two years down the line reuse only to find out its 30-50 dollars cheaper if only you waited. Thats an extra 30-50 you can put towards more or faster ram when the times comes for you to upgrade.

BTW - your ram is clocked at 1333 so your already going faster than your CPU can support so stop wasting more money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:00 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

@Masterchi: While the Intel first gen i7's were designed for 1066 speeds, doesn't mean you can't use faster ram like 1333, 1600+. There is a performance boost when you run 1600+ speeds, even on the 1st gen's, which can be around 1-3% increase per bump, but only in certain applications.

@Gero: In most applications, you won't see that much difference by bumping up the MT/sec speed; instead you'd want to go with the lowest timings. I'd say stick with 1600 or even 1333 speeds with cas 7 or 6 timings.

I'm at a loss why you are underclocking your 1333 ram to 1066 speeds? To get 9-9-9 timings? Seems kinda slow.

So you want to buy new ram for your i7 930 to add more ram to the current system, but also may use 1-2 years down the road for a G34 server? I'd say don't even bother trying to get the ram for this "future server". Plus, the G34 uses dual channel ram, not triple; you'll also need quite a few more modules for a 4P setup anyhow. Wait to buy the ram when you actually buy the system.

Honestly, for folding, I highly doubt you'll see that much improvement between the fastest low cas ram compared to some standard 1333 cas 9 sets to warrant the cost increase. And like what Masterchi said, prices could be cheap in bulk; DDR4 could replace it in the next year or two.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I see your point on waiting on picking up more ram for the future build. The hardware that I'm looking at runs quad channel and 1333/1600 max based on the CPU (they can't be overclocked). I will be building it piece by piece, so if I can get something that will work for it now, I don't mind using it for my current rig, then using it for a bit on the 4P system (I won't be buying new).

I haven't gotten around to clocking my current ram correctly. I haven't looked into it much. I thought that I couldn't really get much of a good clock without jumping up the speed to well over what it's rated, so it wasn't worth trying.

Could you point me to a good source to OC the ram and/or lower the timings? I'm pretty sure that having the clocks higher will help more in folding than the timings, but correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:39 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I mean you should be running at 1333 speeds with those timings. But I doubt you'll see any real world improvements. Folding is much much more processor intensive than ram bandwidth intensive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Isn't it folding thats recently been more GPU intensive (specifically nvidia) for processing? I thought it was folding that optimized their code to use the Nvidia chips and they were outperforming CPUs for models completed. In that case i'd say worry about GPU rather than CPU for future build. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong on this though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:17 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Currently, new CPUs are better for folding, but it goes back and forth.

Well, the discussion is moot at the moment. I tried updating my bios and the computer won't even post now. totally sux!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:19 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

@Masterchi: Folding on gpu clients are quite a bit faster in pumping out work units, but they aren't exactly the same as cpu/smp work units and its hard to compare the two side by side. Mainly because the projects are built completely different; cpu/smp WU's tend to use larger simulations/models, while gpu WU's often work on smaller models for much faster turn around times. SMP WU can have models range from 91,000 atoms and up while GPU WU finally get some larger projects that hit the 2000 atoms mark, but in theory they are very efficient at performance/wattage; just not at PPD/wattage right now all thanks to the new smp bonus points.

@Gero: sorry to hear there. Hope you can get the system booted.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:08 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thank goodness for the dual bios! I was able to find a way to get the system to force load from the backup bios. I'm back up and running. I also have my ram oc'd to 1448 or so with 9-9-9-9-22 timings. Any ideas on going higher on the speed/lower on the timings?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:42 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

You could run it at 1600, but I bet that'll put your timings in the 10's, plus it could cause some system instability if you don't get the timings correct.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:08 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I dedided to go with this stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820147095

There are great timings and speeds being achieved with it!

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... p?t=159320

http://www.overclockers.com/samsung-ddr3-1600-ram

I'm hoping to get mine as high as I can for clocks on my Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. Are there any tips for OCing RAM or anything like that? I'm thinking of starting at around 1800, 9-9-9-24 1t @ 1.5v.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

damn, that's pretty damn impressive for cheap ram modules. 2400 and stable?!?! damn