Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help pls
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:39 pm 

hi all iam new to the site and it looks very cool site . Now iam looking to do some tune ups on my pc what do u guys think i should do .

Intel p4 celeron
cpu @ 1.70 ghz
how could i overclock it
btw i have 512 of ddr ram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:56 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

well for one thing, overclockin produces more heat and heat is the number one enemy of the computer. first off good system cooling would be really good. list your hardware specs and ill see what other help i can provide. make sure you have heatspreaders on your ram. good chipset cooling would be really great too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:02 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

go to the bios and change the FSB

Post subject: Re: help pls
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:49 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

badboy1 wrote:
hi all iam new to the site and it looks very cool site . Now iam looking to do some tune ups on my pc what do u guys think i should do .

Intel p4 celeron
cpu @ 1.70 ghz
how could i overclock it

Very motherboard dependant. Need to see if it let's you adjust the FSB in steps (smaller, the better IMO) and if the vCore is adjustable (again, smaller the better...steps that is).

First and foremost, do some research as to your actual branded items you have in there and their model names. SiSoft Sandra gives you a good amount of info, and CPUz is another info tool that could be of some use (tells you the basic CPU info where SiSoft is more telling of the system as a whole)

Then, get a good cooler that would fit your application (motherboard/CPU dependant. Check the compatibility section of the HeatSink manufacture's site). Good brands to start looking at are Thermalright, Coolermaster, Zalman, and Swiftech.

Memory "timmings" will come into play on the more advanced side, but for now I'd just start the research process of what this means.

The Cely is a very good CPU to overclock, and probably the best thing to start off with. Nice platform!

Post subject: Re: help pls
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:38 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

badboy1 wrote:

Intel p4 celeron
cpu @ 1.70 ghz
how could i overclock it

What kind of computer do you have?

Like Chumly said, overclocking is something that you need an enthusiast motherboard to do, and most OEM systems (Dell, HP, etc) purposely prohibit that.

I'd recommend some software tweaks, many of which the newest issue of Maximum PC has.