Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help choosing an SSD
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I decided to not do the Eyefinity setup and only buy 2 monitors (I need to stop playing so much and do more productive stuff :oops: ) and use the money I had for the third monitor for an SSD.
Now the problem is that I don't know anything about SSD other that they are amazingly fast.

I have been looking around and it's hard to pick one based on reviews because it seems that they had a lot of issues with the firmware and they could be fixed by now, but I don't have a way to find out if they did fix it.

So this is what think I'm going to buy, it's in my price range and seems to be fast and reliable.
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC $209.99

My questions are:
1- Do you have any experience with this drive?
2- Do you have any recommendations?
3- Will it work on my motherboard?

Regarding the last question, I know SATA III is backwards compactible with SATA II, my mobo has SATA 3Gb/s so I was wondering if I would be loosing speed on the SSD by not using SATA 6GB/s? should I get a slower SSD or buy one of those Controllers/RAID Cards?

I was also looking at OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC $140 on sale but it's slower and mixed reviews.

Post subject: Re: Help choosing an SSD
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:06 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I think you're making a good decision here. I like 3 monitors, but any multi monitor setup is better than one IMO.

Any SSD will work with that board, and if it's S/ATA 6G then it gives you that future option to run with when the day comes you upgrade the motherboard for one that will surely have 6G. Also, in real world scenarios the separation of any SSD class is at most 20%. When we're talking 500MB/s or 250MB/s, that ain't a heck of a lot in reality. Some drive configs stand out in certain conditions then run lower in the pack at others; and then just trade blows through most rigorous tests for good reviews.

Take a peek at this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the- ... sd-roundup
They lean on the Intel, but it's $100 more on today's street pricing and I believe they're in love with Intel's reliability and are oblivious to OCZ's spectacular reliability or they'd conclude that review much differently.

I'd recommend the 120 OCZ Vertex3. Just a month ago I'd say to go for the Agility3, but for $10 difference at standard prices it's just worth the upgrade IMO. The Crucial is 128G and sounds a tad larger, but it's not at all because of the way the chipset uses the NAND. With the Crucial, you don't really get that 8G for usable space and is 120G by all means.

Just missed a 15% sale on OCZ drives. The V3 was 161.50 and the A3 was 145.95, with both having $20 MIR's. If you watch these drives, you'll probably see them drop a bit in price again at the egg, and still may have that $20 MIR. I picked up another V3 and it arrived with the latest firmware which was a bit of work to update on the prior drive.

Post subject: Re: Help choosing an SSD
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

The m4 has good 4k random write speeds but the Vertex 3 isn't bad either http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd- ... ,2787.html I tend to stay away from OCZ after my friend got 3 drives in a row that didn't work.