Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: UEFI Bios?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:54 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If you are running it, do you like it? Would you recommend it? Is it a pain to update bios versions?

As far as I can tell, it looks fun. Although it does look like about a 32meg bios to update.

Tyvm.

Post subject: Re: UEFI Bios?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:18 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I like it mostly due to it being needed on any new build and I default to HAVE to recommend. To suggest a standard BIOS really means I'd be suggesting something just not up to date. Just like known BIOS we're use to, Some get the BIOS layout right and many get it wrong. Now you can just use a mouse to be more confused and guess what you're clicking on quicker if it's still unclear what it actually is.

I had no issue with using a keyboard, but to boot from a 3TB drive you gotta have it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:54 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Chumly wrote:
I like it mostly due to it being needed on any new build and I default to HAVE to recommend. To suggest a standard BIOS really means I'd be suggesting something just not up to date. Just like known BIOS we're use to, Some get the BIOS layout right and many get it wrong. Now you can just use a mouse to be more confused and guess what you're clicking on quicker if it's still unclear what it actually is.

I had no issue with using a keyboard, but to boot from a 3TB drive you gotta have it.

Nice.

I do like the idea of being able to screenshot a particular bios page setting...

Have you tried to update your version yet Chumly? Is it a ***king 32 meg update? 8)

I wanna boot this bios into a ssd sataIII drive. :)

Oh, and *edit*x2. Asus is manufacturer that launched this bios tech?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I love the UEFI BIOS UI it is straight forward and feels more robust and user friendly. though it sucks when you encounter the old BIOS and want to use the mouse. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:03 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

EFI was developed by Intel. The present UEFI standard is actually owned by the Unified EFI Forum to which Intel is a contributor. EFI has been around for about 20 years I think. It's recent widespread appeal is mostly due to the limitations of BIOS/MBR.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:42 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

On a side note, I've got an Old emachine tower that someone dumped. (God damn, it's like a 333cs PC.) YEARS ago, I flashed a bios update into it, yanked the Cyrix processor, and dropped in a k6-2 450. Or was it the other way around? Anyways, that thing's bios is controlled by mouse....

It still runs to this day. I sometimes use it for muling d2 items. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:15 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

2M DL's mostly. Not an issue even on Dial-up since most vendor's sites are slow to upload anyway.

It just took getting use too IMO. It sure looks fancy, but as far as usability and interface goes the only thing new is that it can accept a mouse. Asus has you going in on basic mode, but can change that to Advanced. All the same settings are there as if it's a common BIOS, and the manual and sidebar descriptions in the UEFI BIOS are there as they were...but with pretty drop boxes and such.

My issue is that I still revert to just using the keyboard and the mouse just doesn't help me navigate really. Yes, you can use a mouse, but I don't get around any faster yet. The actual perk is what it brings with it besides the GUI...accepting new tech. If you want to boot off a 3TB drive, you better have a board with UEFI to start with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Chumly wrote:
2M DL's mostly. Not an issue even on Dial-up since most vendor's sites are slow to upload anyway.

It just took getting use too IMO. It sure looks fancy, but as far as usability and interface goes the only thing new is that it can accept a mouse. Asus has you going in on basic mode, but can change that to Advanced. All the same settings are there as if it's a common BIOS, and the manual and sidebar descriptions in the UEFI BIOS are there as they were...but with pretty drop boxes and such.

My issue is that I still revert to just using the keyboard and the mouse just doesn't help me navigate really. Yes, you can use a mouse, but I don't get around any faster yet. The actual perk is what it brings with it besides the GUI...accepting new tech. If you want to boot off a 3TB drive, you better have a board with UEFI to start with.

Ok, tyvm.