It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:39 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

CrashTECH wrote:
killerxx7 wrote:
I always use a hairdryer takes about 20 sec to heat each shrink i don't see a problem with that,using a lighter can melt the shrink or the wires i would not recommend it.
You aren't supposed to hold the lighter there.... if you do, you deserve to have your rig catch on fire. The hair dryer is not the correct tool for the job. Period. It doesn't properly shrink it because it doesn't get it hot enough.

I have used it in hundreds of times to shrink man many meters of shrink and i have yet to find a better tool for the job,i asked over at a forum what specialize in case modding and 90% of the replays said use a hairdryer.
Im not saying its the best but i find it just fine and it shrinks it just as good as a lighter does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:09 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I have a heat gun. Shrinks those wraps in like 10 secs. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:15 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

killerxx7 wrote:
I have used it in hundreds of times to shrink man.
Why are you shrinking men? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:16 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Something not considered or mentioned at this point is that there are literally dozens of flavors of heat shring tubing out there. Some heat shrink like Alpha Wire FIT 421 will nicely shrink at 90 Deg. C while Alpha FIT 350 requires about 175 Deg. C. Overall depending on the heat shrink being used temperatures for shrink can range between 90 and 250 Degrees C.

A hair dryer will work fine for some flavors but for other flavors a heat gun or mini-torch is a must. Good heat guns can be adjusted and many can exceed well over 1,000 degrees F. at the outlet nozel, not something you find in a hair dryer.

Additionally the shrink ratios can vary between 2:1 up to 6:1.

Therefore the best heat source is a matter of what shrink is being used. Cut a sample and hit it with a hair dryer, does it shrink without waiting indefinately? Then use the hairdryer. However, if it is slow to shrink and doesn't meet its ratio when it does shrink then think heat gun or mini-torch.

A mini-torch can be a simple $.99 Bic lighter if used correctly and safely. Assuming space allows.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:42 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Well, I was going to use a lighter but decided to check eBay to see what's out there. A cheap Chinese heat gun caught my eye. It was selling for $9.99 and it came in a case with several attachments. I thought the price wasn't that bad so I ordered one. The total came to $21.95 with shipping from the Midwest. The package arrived in three days and immediately I opened and tried it out.

Since I've never used a heat gun before I cannot compare it to any other heat gun but this thing worked perfectly. The gun has two speed and the lowest one is extremely hot compared to the hair drier I was using before. Let me say that the time it took me to heat and shrink the end of the cables went from 15 minutes to about 15 seconds. Also Reloadron is right, some of the heat shrink was shrinking faster than others even though I was using pretty much the same distance. I think that is something that needs to be address when buying heat shrink for your project.

Anyways, I know Chumly wanted me to try the lighter ( you are such a tough guy ) but at my age I have learned to be patient and investigate before making a mistake that can ruin the whole project. Thanks anyways to all who posted. Btw, I sleeved the cables with yellow UV and I will be using two blue UV lights. It should give the impression of a radioactive inner case. Can't wait till the 22 when Windows 7 comes out so I can finish the whole project. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

yep. It's like day and night when you switch from a hair dryer to a heat gun, even a really cheapy one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:32 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes having the right tools for the job just makes things go so much better.

I have a cool little printer at work that prints heat shrink. Takes up to something like maybe a 1" diameter of shrink in the colors of your choice. Really nice for labeling a harness or individual leads.

Maybe someday we will get around to doing a FAQ in the modder section dealing with shrink tubing.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:36 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

or a soldering guide for that matter. That takes some work to get good at. Took me a while to get it down good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:01 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Spartacus wrote:
or a soldering guide for that matter. That takes some work to get good at. Took me a while to get it down good.

Years ago that was on my list of things to do. I guess it still is. :lol:

Soldering is a skill. You start with the bigger the blob the better the job and refine from that point.

I think I even took the initial pictures I was going to use? I wonder where the hell those are. Damnit, I think I even began to write about it. Forgot all about it.

If anyone wants to do a FAQ type tutorial on using shrink tubing or soldering feel free to have at it. My soldering plan called for showing the equipment and some demo pictures. The idea was to use a simple $10 soldering iron. Simply because not everyone has or needs a $300 Weller controlled heat station. Show some good stuff but work with basic tools.

Ron