Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: little idea for a three computer folding farm case :)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:56 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

ok so right now im at work, ill post some pictures of what i have and have done so far when i get home.

so i will try to explain what i am doing and what i will need in order to complete this.

ok so while i was looking around in the PX at all the crap i wish i could afford, i walked down an isle with a bunch of shelves and plastic storage drawer things.

i immediatly thought about computers for some reason. and how i can use one of those three drawer plastic things to put my 3 computers into to help save space in my barracks room.

it is very similar to this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KW00YO/ref ... B000KW00YO

i also got a much smaller desktop single drawer sollution that will hold my water cooling system for my main gaming/folding rig. it will be secured on top with velcro so i can remove it when i need to move the whole unit. i also have quck releases on the tubing so i can completely separate them.

what i need is:

2: motherboard trays that i can mount two of my mobo's on, i allready have one from an apeva case that i have.

25: 180mm fans. need to have decent airflow. but can be quiet aswell. if anybody has alot of them for cheap that would be great.

some way to securly mount the psu's to the plastic. if need be i will tear them down and drill holes in the metal casing and use zip ties to secure them.

i will also need alot of fan grills. nothing fancy. i wouldnt use them if i didnt have a problem with getting my fingers all cut up in the bastard fans.

oh and if anybody has a triple fan radiator for a water cooling system that they are willing to let go for a decent price. i will take it..

so yah i have bassically given up on the L4D project for the time being untill i get back to the states.

any other ideas for this project will be more than welcome. thanks for looking. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:35 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

First thing off the top of my head is that the plastic used on those things usually has a lot of static on them just from moving the drawers in and out, especially if you have carpet in your barracks. I'd be worried about ESD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:37 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

so ground them to the PSU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:09 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

you cant really "ground" dry plastic very well; its an insulator.. that why it builds up a static charge to begin with.

you neutralize it by using an ionizer (slow and no help with a sudden increase like sliding the drawer open/closed) or prevent it in the 1st place by coating it with a conductive material like an anti static spray or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:43 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Quakindude wrote:
First thing off the top of my head is that the plastic used on those things usually has a lot of static on them just from moving the drawers in and out, especially if you have carpet in your barracks. I'd be worried about ESD.

nope no carpet. and i already thought of that. imma put a light clear coat on the inside and outside of it. or imma put a bunch of anti static bags on the bottom of each drawer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:51 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

This seems like a really bad idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

graydiggy wrote:
nope no carpet. and i already thought of that. imma put a light clear coat on the inside and outside of it. or imma put a bunch of anti static bags on the bottom of each drawer

clear coat of what?

antistatic bags usually only have the antistatic coating on the inside. turn em inside out? but then the antistatic bags would have to be grounded for them to do any good otherwise they just sit there at the same potential as the rest of the plastic.. also you would not be able to run the mobo on the bag as it will short the mobo out, antistatic coating are conductive by design. maybe use standoffs and hope the bag doesnt wrinkle?

CrashTECH wrote:
This seems like a really bad idea...

yup. might as well mount the mobo on a cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

CharBroiled wrote:
graydiggy wrote:

yup. might as well mount the mobo on a cat.

thats a great idea :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:13 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Something like this would be a much better choice IMO. With that glass top, I'd use a diamond tipped glass cutting bit to make rails and risers for the first mobo, then mount the others in the drawers and modify the drawers for proper airflow.

Hmmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:56 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

would using standoff's work for this to help get rid of static?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:25 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Do not do it. Heat is your real enemy here...I tried almost exactly the same thing once, and it was just a waste of time and money...if you're folding, you need more airflow than your graphics card exhaust fans can provide...I was getting thermal shutdowns just running the system normally, much less folding. If you want them closed, then this will not work. If you want to run each tub sitting on a counter, then you might as well save some money and mount them on plexiglass.

Sorry...but that's what the forum's for, right? Save our skins when we're thinking of doing something foolish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:27 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

It would be very easy to design and build your own "box" or cabinet from wood. You could make it very open and with plenty of airflow. And probably less than a prebuilt drawer type system. That's what I've decided to do when my personal finance situation gets settled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:59 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

well what i was planning on doing is mounting 2 fans to the front of each drawer for intake and three to the back for the exaust. so i thought of airflow long before i got the three drawers. so airflow will go directly over the video cards and mobo.