Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:44 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I was attracted by the powder coat with the idea that huge warnings should be stated. I feel better though! Powder coating is not paint. If you put a case into powdercoating with no prep, every part will get the coating. Screw holes and all. And Powder Coating CAN look just as good as the high dollar automotive finishes...before the actual elbow grease. With automotive paint, you do a lot of finishing, but before all that...it's wavy, bumpy, and needs work. About what powder coating offers. Powder coating will never look 5 miles deep though :D

Tape is cheap. If it's covered by a part's I/O bracket or blank I/O bracket...why think too hard and easily state we should just paint it?
5" strip, cover the bare metal, and go with the flow. I think MPC sin'd in their article on modding saying to bend grounding springs on the I/O up and out of the way. Like they're there just to annoy? No...they're there to serve a purpose.

If you paint mechanically, pay attention to the electronic system you're shoving into it. It just doesn't have to look good, but function is an end result I'd hope. That I/O plate, I swear, needs a good connection to your case. Sand it off. And don't bend springs like MPC states so it doesn't touch the parts....please don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:22 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I've the panels painted, just need to clear coat them. The only thing I didn't paint was the back of the case where the I/O stuff is, and the PSU mount, since I forgot I had it until I was looking at a picture. :oops: Recommendations on painting the back panel of the case, or just leaving it stock finish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

that looks like a fine finish, there! i like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:27 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Nhb93 wrote:
I've the panels painted, just need to clear coat them. The only thing I didn't paint was the back of the case where the I/O stuff is, and the PSU mount, since I forgot I had it until I was looking at a picture. :oops: Recommendations on painting the back panel of the case, or just leaving it stock finish?
I paint them, just to make them uniform. You can paint them, and then take some sandpaper to the inside of the I/O mounting square to get to the bare metal.

On the board panel I didn't mention:
I screwed up the first time because it was my first Extended ATX/BTX case. I masked out all the way to the last standoff's, which is one set too many. It didn't even cross my mind that this was too far out until I stuck the motherboard in there.
I learned though, and now count out and paint out to 3 stand-off's only. If there's more, they're getting painted (I ain't sticking to eATX boards in a build).

Note the PSU mounting plates too. They're in opposite places for the picture, but they're bare on back. The fan blank should have been painted both sides, but you only need one side of the PSU plate to be painted. Got lucky again as the fan blank wasn't used more than a month...pretty useless.

And now, I'm painting it all just to keep the masking down. I take a hole punch (like you use in offices or whatever), and punch out tape circles to use as masking for the standoff holes. I tried "paper buttholes" (sticker things you put on punched paper holes when they rip apart) on the last job errantly. Stuck them down then roughly put tape down to cover the middle hole, but it's too big to me and had to redo it. I could just see the arch of unpainted surface poking out from behind the board all around the corner. But for sure, I'd mask off the standoffs. Remember that you're not going to see it since a board will be over it, so it won't show. I'm OCD though, and want to know there's paint there.

If someone is doing this haven't painted it yet, it may be worth thinking about dremeling out a square access on the motherboard panel. Then you don't have to remove the motherboard to change out coolers in the future. Exaggerate the hole a bit, as you never know what board is going to be in these cases, thus the size of the cooler backplate. I got lucky by making it a bit bigger than needed for the 775 back when, and now makes cooler switching a snap with the i7 and now the i5 in it. That first case is now going on 6 years, and a lot of stuff has been in and out of it in that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I've got it all painted, and I'll post pictures when I actually transfer the parts over to the case. I left the back panel unfinished, partly because I just ran out of primer and wanted to save the last little bit of paint for any touch up that might be required. I think it looks pretty good, considering I never took the case apart, and it's my first paint job. It'll be my first build, and I really hope I don't damage anything, since I don't really have another computer that can handle games. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:53 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Too much frowning! It'll work out fine dude. 8)