Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chumly's mod????
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:18 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well, i dont usually look at mods alot, but there is a lot of talk about "chumly's mod".... It seems its very highly anticipated :p
Is his mod like the next holy grail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:22 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Close. But it was finished a while back.

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:42 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Have you looked at that lately? I saw 28 Images.

Not fun.

Grump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:09 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

I know, the images got served. Or not. SOrry bad joke :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:37 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

He still hasn't moved the pictures to his new ISP host thingamajigger yet.

Chumly, go! :P

Post subject: Re: Chumly's mod????
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:56 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Law_Of_The_Jungle wrote:
Well, i dont usually look at mods alot, but there is a lot of talk about "chumly's mod".... It seems its very highly anticipated :p
Is his mod like the next holy grail?

His mod is mainly about paint. But its indepth - thats why we want too see the finished one so bad

He had to make an ISP change in the middle, so we have been left wanting.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:57 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I can't wait to see his next paintjob, because I'm hoping it will be on my case. :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:11 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Oh crap...it's been talked about!? Better be careful as my ego is too easily inflated.

It's done, it runs, but as of yet is in a good mode to be captured in a photograph. It's a very elusive beast!

I'm too much of a perfectionist bastard in part. The tubing needs cleaned up, the plastic fittings need chaged over to the chrome fittings, my carbon reservoir need perfected (on the 3rd one :p ), and I keep it together long enough to play with some CPU or Memory; then gets put back.

I had hopes of just putting it together and calling it done...but that's not working out too well. But it's no Mecca of PC's, but rather a standard that all of us should take into account when we talk about MPC worthy builds. I've complained for years that the mods we call mods are not mods at all, but rather bolt-on build-ups that turn dudes into hero's with a $12 CCT or bays full of purchased parts. I've set a goal for myself to practice what I preach and put words into action.

I can't talk about how good a 550, 570J runs or how piss-poor the EE is if I don't run it...right? So, that was first. Get a system together that'll be a good testbed. Only up until this point, I could only suggest based on trust what is good and what just plain blows.

Then the modding side comes in to play. Window cutouts, Krylon paintjobs, flashing lights...we've seen it all. But where's the elbow grease or skill involved? I can put a fanbus in just as easily as the next guy. I guess my vehicle attitude has rolled over to my PC. Adding a fart pipe, ground effects, a hood painted black to look like carbon (!?), or a NOS sticker to a car doesn't make it fast. Now those that yank their own engines and work on their own cars...and even race them professionally on the weekend; has always facinated me. Being a privateer roadracer, I have more respect for those that turn out A1 work by themselves vise having some factory endorsement giving a full compliment of parts and personel. Opps...there's a rant!

And in all, manta is more correct than any of my excuses here. I've switched from Comast cable to SBC, and SBC has no real webspace that I can figure out. Comcast had space that I could FTP to and publicly post from. But SBC has space, but no FTP or anything more than a photo album to link you all to. I've just started using Photobucket, so I'll get those pics back up.

And work has pretty much smashed me into the ground. I had worked, slept, worked, slept...it was an aweful period. It even drug me completely from the forum, none the less time to game or mod anything. I've delegated some very large projects to some co-workers that had my same ideas and am now stable enough to get free. They were just too important to me, and felt they'd move the company in a better direction...and it's a product I've loved too long to watch it go the other way...which it was heading directly into left-field.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So...on the project. I have now gained access to a 3.4EE and a 3.46EE to give a shot. I plan on ditching the 570J and sticking with one of these EE's to just get away from a patched up Prescott, then switch to a smithfield DC down the road. I've done my tweaking and experiments, and I'm ready to just settle it down and call this year's "fun" done.

I'm also awaiting a decent card. I'm running a 6600GT which isn't what I had planned on. I've tried the x800XT and an x600 and wasn't happy at all...still not.

I'm running Matrix array on a pair of 740GD's, and am looking for flaws in it over RAID5 through windows or the common RAID0. I may need to add an HDD, but is low on my priorities.

The big thing so far has been the accelerator nozzles on the TDX. Finding the right one or some sort of method to advise others on is a long process. Running for 2 days with one, recording the results, then going to the next one...very long process when you have about 10 to go through:p

At this very second, it's back apart and getting it's final assembly. I'll be posting threads in here on a regular basis (maybe one thread a week to keep in managable) as perhaps a list of How-To's on the most popular questions I get in my PM's. And I get a lot :D (don't get me wrong, I don't mind them at all!)

Oh, and look at my 570J on the right...I may be about to burn that baby up by the foolish things I'm doing to it. It's brown!

(one4...get an idea or two! Even though our bet was on longhorn, and I'LL WIN, I'd still like to do another paintjob)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:57 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

The painting page from a while back is fixed! All the .mpg movie files are still broken, but the pics are up again. It's weird looking back at those. After a buffing job and the final "sponsor decals" detail painting...it looks pretty tough and not so plain. Just weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:51 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Frigging Sweet. Thats all I can say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:54 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

why is the proc on the left blurred out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:04 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Chumly wrote:
(one4...get an idea or two! Even though our bet was on longhorn, and I'LL WIN, I'd still like to do another paintjob)

Something nostalgiac of course, like old graphic adventure themes or C64 related. :D

whiterabbit22 wrote:

I'm guessing his employer didn't have it in mind for him to post pics on the web when they handed him a Smithfield ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:51 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:

I actually was a complete dumbass and had it up there for about 3 hours before I thought, "hey. that's not good". Instead of cropping it, I just gave it a quick soft focus.

I'll have to post some FX57's to even it out :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:47 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

rofl, hope they didnt see that one! but uh, I've never even heard of Smithfield until now... good game Chumly!!!! HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! NOW I KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... naw, just kidding....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:21 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Figured it'd take the pics on saturday to open your eyes! I couldn't take it anymore.

Hey, what happened to the Navy?! I thought you said you were going to the Navy this sept and it's been throwing me for a loop.

What's it been...4 months of mystery??? Jeeez...my locker has "Chumly" on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:01 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Where do you work that you can get your hands on these things (Smithfield procs and such?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:04 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Chumly wrote:
Figured it'd take the pics on saturday to open your eyes! I couldn't take it anymore.

Hey, what happened to the Navy?! I thought you said you were going to the Navy this sept and it's been throwing me for a loop.

What's it been...4 months of mystery??? Jeeez...my locker has "Chumly" on it.

I leave June 23rd.