Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wooden PC design concepts.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:41 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Here's a case I designed at my tech school last year. I'm not entirely sure whether we'll actually get around to building it ever since a close family friend died of brain cancer today. :cry:

Dim: (HxWxD) 22"x11"x24" w/o front shield and feet
Wood: Oak (solid and ply) thickness .25"-.5"
Fans: 6x120mm (3 filtered intake, 3 exhaust)

The 1/2" foam provides a cushion between the vibrating fan and the wood. Wood, especially oak, should work well with this, because of the higher mass of the material. the gap also significantly decreases the air resistance of the filters.v
The filters are removable for easy cleaning. I've already produced the frames in plastic. the filters right up against the fans destroyed the airflow, so the .75"-1" gap would reduce the turbulence resulting in faster and quieter operation. All fans combined full speed produced about the sound of my geforce 9800GTX+@ 60%. I also have a silencer 750W PSU and 120mm zalman CNPS-7700-CU, so al low speed the computer should be virtually silent.

Wiring to the HDD, DVD, fans, lights, and pretty much anything else, will be rerouted to the backside of the case for optimal airflow and low clutter.vv

If you're wondering, the HDD and DVD will be suspended in Bungee or something similar. slots will be added to the side posts. Also note the lack of DVD hole. I use DVDs very rarely, so I figured I could quiet it up there, too, dispite having to open the case to insert a DVD. Fan intake/exhaust controls might go there, as well as USB and Headphones.

hopefully how it would look fully lit. vv

so whaddya think? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:28 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

First, I am sorry for your loss. It makes for a rough time.

The design is pretty sweet. I am not sure about having intake fans on the bottom, especially if it is going to be in a carpeted room. BUT the filters should help with that a little bit. You'd have to clean them quite frequently.

What software did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:18 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I like it!

That will be a dam good case if you make it!! Seems like you have thought it all out, and made a dam good schematic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:52 am 
Willamette
Willamette

nice job on the 3D. looks like everything is planned out, when are you going to start?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:49 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

CrashTECH wrote:
First, I am sorry for your loss. It makes for a rough time.

The design is pretty sweet. I am not sure about having intake fans on the bottom, especially if it is going to be in a carpeted room. BUT the filters should help with that a little bit. You'd have to clean them quite frequently.

What software did you use?

From my experiences with Cooler Master's Cosmos 1000/1010, intake fans on the bottom with a filter seem to work really well. The Cosmos has a single filtered 12cm fan on the bottom (the only stock intake fan). In six months using it as a server on a carpeted floor I didn't have any dust in the case.

@OP
You can opt for an external DVD unit, and plug that up through a USB connection.

The design looks really nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

heck, I have two machines with an unfiltered intake fan on bottom and I don't seem to have to clean them any more than the one that doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:57 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

i tlooked like it was designed in inventor then rendered in the studio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

pellier wrote:
i tlooked like it was designed in inventor then rendered in the studio.

Hah! nice call, that's exactly what it was. :lol:

it was the main program we used at the tech center. We pretty much learned the software by doing a bunch of random personal projects. Took away half my day at high school and got 3 A's per semester. best class ever!

Thanks for the support guys!

About the carpet thing, too. That was the reason for the board at the bottom of the case and the filters on the fans. my room accumulates dust very quickly. I actually tried filters on a previous case and I never really had to clean the interior. I just used clothes drier cloths over the intake. you get hundreds of replacements for a couple bucks that way. this time I may use furnace filters.