Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Manta Mod - Project Rocket Mod - Input request
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:50 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

I am stalled on Rocket Mod since I moved and lost my workspace.

I will try to dig up some pics.

Here is what I need:

A nose cone with a 12-19" base and not very pointy.

I already have made one twice but keep running into problems. The most recent is getting the thing symetrical (which is a must for the design). I am cash low ATM, but if you have ideas how I might make one let me know.

It does not have to be hollow - I will be using to make a FB jig so I can knock a few out.

Manta

Last edited by MantaBase on Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:53 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Here is the really old sketch.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:37 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Yoshi did somthing liek this on tech tv. He used a big block of balsa wood and carves the ship out then put enamel on it to harden it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:17 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

gamerfreak wrote:
Yoshi did somthing liek this on tech tv. He used a big block of balsa wood and carves the ship out then put enamel on it to harden it.

Yeah - but he had more wiggle room than I do 'cuz of his design. Basically, I have done what he did, but I can't get it perfect enough to use for a jig.

EDIT - Yoshi did his as a one off cartoon rocket - that gave him some room. If you look close, its not perfect in shape - but it didn't need to be to look right.

Maybe I will hit his forum and see if he is around.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:15 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Bump - comming up blank

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:24 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

well what kinda of stuff are you blanking on, i'll help with design but the art i'll leave to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:39 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

gramaton cleric wrote:
well what kinda of stuff are you blanking on, i'll help with design but the art i'll leave to you.

Well, here's a quick history.
    First Nosecone (NC) blank attempt (could also be called a positive) - Manta Mark I.

Used Papermache to build a hollow cone and then used plaster to bulk it up to the right proportions. It failed. Reasons

On something this size, you need plaster to be at least 1 inch thick - and I had to quite when the blank hit 45lbs.

Second attempt - Manta Mark II

I used press board and cut it into "ribs" of a nose cone. Imaging the nose of a blimp. If you were looking down on it from above, it would look like a big pie with the ribe being 16 "cuts". Anyways, I filled between the ribs with spray insulation foam and then trimmed it to shape with an electric knife (wish I had pics to show ya - they are in storage - aarrgg). I then skinned the ribs with plaster and then bondo. It looks like it would work - I haven't totally given up on it yet, but the real problem is making it "perfect" - and here is why:

Orginally, I was going to use the NC I made as a jig for Fiberglass. Under these conditions, I would put the glass and resin on the NC and then shape the outside. Once dry, I would pop the jig out and have a hollow nosecone. My father has much more FB expirence than I and told me not to do this. He said, it nearly impossible to get the FB exposed surface right and what I should do is use the NC to make a negative (a mold) and use the negative as the jig. Especially since I need at least two that are nearly Identicle in outside dimentions. The problem is, its almost impossible to get the blank perfect in shape (as I would have discovered if I had followed my original path) - and thats required to mak a good jig. Its turning out to be a lot of work - and one of the worst parts is, that I have no way of "checking" the shape. I may keep at it - but making a near perfect cone is a task. So Mark II is stuck.

Suggestions I have heard:
    Use a lathe: Well, I don't have access to one and what would be the material?

Start over and use foam core in "layers" to build a cone that is more perfect than the ribbed one: This is an idea I am pursuing - I already have a program that tells what each layer should be in diameter. Problem is, the layers must be exactly 1/5th of an inch thick - where am I going to find that kind og material??

Vacuum Form it: I could do this - but I don't have a big enough oven or vacuum former - and I don't have a shop to build a large vacuum former.

Any ideas or sugestion? Does the layer method sound good?

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:31 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

gramaton cleric wrote:

BTW - Thanx.

While writing the last post I looked into the "foamcore" thing and it seems like it might work (if not for this mod, then future ones).

Your post made me look - thanx

Manta