Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Manta Mod - Project GT - Looking for input
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:47 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
Ok, So this mod is for my father who is not a heavy computer user but loves Cars and Specifically Mustangs.

I need input. I envision a silver case with an emblem in fron and a fan a la mnpctech http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=414 but using a 5 spoke mustang style rim if I can find one. I will put an air scoop on the top or one of the sides. All the Bling needs to be viewable from the front, although I will stipe it KR500 style along the sides.

Any more input? Ideas?

I am broke ATM, so I am just gettin' ideas and trying to get a plan of action going.

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:05 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27390
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
You want the fan to look like, or be cosealed by the 5 spoker rim?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:16 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
Spider Monkey wrote:
You want the fan to look like, or be cosealed by the 5 spoker rim?


Yeah -- like mnpctech did it. The early GT mustangs used a five spoke rim.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:06 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27390
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
MantaBase wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
You want the fan to look like, or be cosealed by the 5 spoker rim?


Yeah -- like mnpctech did it. The early GT mustangs used a five spoke rim.


I know the rim you speak of. It was the first "custom" rim you could get IIRC.

Personally, I'd hit up a hobbie store and see if they had any large models you could strip from.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:42 am
Posts: 154
Location: teh Ether
You can look HERE for wheels you can turn into a fan grill, but how about this idea:

Get the dash emblem and make a fan grill out of that.
Image

Get the corral and put 2 fans behind it with some mesh to hide them.
Image

Mold a side scoop into the side panel with a fan behind it (or even without the fan).
Image

You can get some of these parts and more at Mustang Depot.

R'gards,

Grump, The Mad Modder
Images hotlinked with permission


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:58 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27390
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
Grump wrote:
Get the corral and put 2 fans behind it with some mesh to hide them.
Image


That would make a great drive stealther!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:36 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
[quote="Grump"][/quote]

Yeah - the corral is a good idea. Problem is I think it might be too big (wide). A corral with two 40mm fans behind it that are behind the hex mesh would look good. I'm in Vegas so mayne I will drop by the place and see if they will let me measure stuff.

Pricey stuff - but isn't everything?

Right above it one of the small fender "V"'s would look good. Too bad there is no 3.51 Pentuim :)

I think the corral would look better than the Wheel.

The valve stem caps could be modded into thumb screws I bet. I was gonna get one of those muscateer things for some gauges. For the scoop I was gonna put a 120 fan under it on top (sitting flat). Maybe a 3/4" rise on the scoop. Not sure how to make it.

I think I will use Cardstock and balse spars to shap it and then bondo the card stock and then remove the wood spars - maybe FB - but its so small I don't wanna do that.

To bad they don't make a dial radio that will fit in a bay.

I gotta figure out what case to use - and then I have to get some money coming in :?

Thanx for the idea - I will check it out.

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:37 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
Spider Monkey wrote:
Grump wrote:
Get the corral and put 2 fans behind it with some mesh to hide them.


That would make a great drive stealther!


I think it might be too wide Monkey. Not sure, but if I get a chance to check it out I will let you know.

Manta


Last edited by MantaBase on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:28 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:40 pm
Posts: 24345
Location: South of heaven
These type of OEM wheels or the Torq Thrust style commonly used back then? I like the Torq Thrust on a PC mod, but will be HARD to find large enough.

Grump pointed out RC wheels from Associated, but they have a small selection. How about wheels for the TMAXX as it's very popular?
Like this one.

I'd also like to see a cobra style scoop on top as it's almost a signiture for Pony cars of the 60's. Now, the side scoops would be AWESOME if you could mold in the "C" channel somehow into the side, as that's also a signiture of a stang. How to do it? I dunno right off the bat.

I also love the corral and think it should be used. Not really with the corral that came on the actual grill because they're huge (68's were the smallest I think), but making one for YOUR grill. Use a side emblem and figure out an actual corral for it. Only the most hardcore will probably notice the pony running the wrong way...a test for the pony elite??

On that idea, fog lights spelled "GT", and if you want a GT, you'll have to have 'em. Fans are round...fans can have lights in them or behind them. Round fans come in many sizes :D

All this could be pulled off with a squatty little case rather than the common tower style.

If you really really really have some spare time, perhaps make the "cobra aircleaner" thing work as a HS lid or something. I think a little black ribbed oval pseudo-aircleaner would set that interior off!

Hugger blue? I have some hugger orange, but you really have to love orange dude :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:33 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
Chumly wrote:
These type of OEM wheels or the Torq Thrust style commonly used back then? I like the Torq Thrust on a PC mod, but will be HARD to find large enough.


Here is a pic of the original
http://www.carmemories.com/cmem/Ford/Mu ... tangs/1965
Normally the center of the spokes is black - its a Fenton Design for a fake 10 spoke rim. That second one you posted was/is very popular (American Racing?)
I found a rim that was close to the orginal on the R/C site.


Quote:
I'd also like to see a cobra style scoop on top as it's almost a signiture for Pony cars of the 60's. Now, the side scoops would be AWESOME if you could mold in the "C" channel somehow into the side, as that's also a signiture of a stang. How to do it? I dunno right off the bat.


You guys are giving so many ideas I might have to make TWO cases. The one for my father needs to be simple. I'd love to make another with side scoops - maybe to sell.

Quote:
I also love the corral and think it should be used. Not really with the corral that came on the actual grill because they're huge (68's were the smallest I think), but making one for YOUR grill. Use a side emblem and figure out an actual corral for it. Only the most hardcore will probably notice the pony running the wrong way...a test for the pony elite??


Yeah - not sure how to make one though. They make the fender horse going both directions :) Scoops are going to be easy I think compared to grills

Quote:
On that idea, fog lights spelled "GT", and if you want a GT, you'll have to have 'em. Fans are round...fans can have lights in them or behind them. Round fans come in many sizes :D


I am sure I could craft a few small fog lights - I would have to think about that.

Quote:
All this could be pulled off with a squatty little case rather than the common tower style.


Thats a good idea to ponder, but the one for my father needs to be a tower.

Quote:
If you really really really have some spare time, perhaps make the "cobra aircleaner" thing work as a HS lid or something. I think a little black ribbed oval pseudo-aircleaner would set that interior off!


I already was thinking about that - under the top scoop, over the 120mm fan. I just need a modded fan grill, a cut up K$N motofilter, and some metel parts from large soup cans. It won't llok like the shelby or cobra air clearners, but it willl look like a ford mustang one.
Quote:
Hugger blue? I have some hugger orange, but you really have to love orange dude :D
[/quote]

For my dad I gotta stick with silver or white with red or blue detail.

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:31 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:40 pm
Posts: 24345
Location: South of heaven
Oh...umm...K&N makes itty bitty aircleaners! Even oval ones. I have to browse their site again, but I had used them in my nephew's little Jegster Rail with a Briggs & Stratton a few years back. Even kept one around for the idea of a car-mod as well, but probably tossed it along one of my moves.

Here's their "unique" page


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:57 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
Chumly wrote:
Oh...umm...K&N makes itty bitty aircleaners! Even oval ones. I have to browse their site again, but I had used them in my nephew's little Jegster Rail with a Briggs & Stratton a few years back. Even kept one around for the idea of a car-mod as well, but probably tossed it along one of my moves.

Here's their "unique" page



RC-5010 looks useful, but too big for this mod.

Damn, I wish I had money and a shop right now. I have ideas for two mods now. Add rocket mod in and Sabre (cartoon jet plane) and I could do a few OCC episodes.

Oh yeah - I would need staff to yell at.

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:04 am 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:30 pm
Posts: 3376
http://www.powerpassion.nl/mustang/stuff/emblems.html

Here are some emblems.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:12 am 
How about using that corral as a flip-down drive bay cover?


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:14 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
Kane wrote:
How about using that corral as a flip-down drive bay cover?


Its too heavy - and too big. But, I might be able to fabricate.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.