Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Manta Mod - Project GT - Looking for input
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:47 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Ok, So this mod is for my father who is not a heavy computer user but loves Cars and Specifically Mustangs.

I need input. I envision a silver case with an emblem in fron and a fan a la mnpctech http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=414 but using a 5 spoke mustang style rim if I can find one. I will put an air scoop on the top or one of the sides. All the Bling needs to be viewable from the front, although I will stipe it KR500 style along the sides.

Any more input? Ideas?

I am broke ATM, so I am just gettin' ideas and trying to get a plan of action going.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:05 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

You want the fan to look like, or be cosealed by the 5 spoker rim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:16 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Spider Monkey wrote:

Yeah -- like mnpctech did it. The early GT mustangs used a five spoke rim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:06 pm 

MantaBase wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:

Yeah -- like mnpctech did it. The early GT mustangs used a five spoke rim.

I know the rim you speak of. It was the first "custom" rim you could get IIRC.

Personally, I'd hit up a hobbie store and see if they had any large models you could strip from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You can look HERE for wheels you can turn into a fan grill, but how about this idea:

Get the dash emblem and make a fan grill out of that.

Get the corral and put 2 fans behind it with some mesh to hide them.

Mold a side scoop into the side panel with a fan behind it (or even without the fan).

You can get some of these parts and more at Mustang Depot.

R'gards,

Grump, The Mad Modder
Images hotlinked with permission

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:58 pm 

Grump wrote:

That would make a great drive stealther!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:36 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

[quote="Grump"][/quote]

Yeah - the corral is a good idea. Problem is I think it might be too big (wide). A corral with two 40mm fans behind it that are behind the hex mesh would look good. I'm in Vegas so mayne I will drop by the place and see if they will let me measure stuff.

Pricey stuff - but isn't everything?

Right above it one of the small fender "V"'s would look good. Too bad there is no 3.51 Pentuim :)

I think the corral would look better than the Wheel.

The valve stem caps could be modded into thumb screws I bet. I was gonna get one of those muscateer things for some gauges. For the scoop I was gonna put a 120 fan under it on top (sitting flat). Maybe a 3/4" rise on the scoop. Not sure how to make it.

I think I will use Cardstock and balse spars to shap it and then bondo the card stock and then remove the wood spars - maybe FB - but its so small I don't wanna do that.

To bad they don't make a dial radio that will fit in a bay.

I gotta figure out what case to use - and then I have to get some money coming in :?

Thanx for the idea - I will check it out.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:37 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Spider Monkey wrote:
Grump wrote:

That would make a great drive stealther!

I think it might be too wide Monkey. Not sure, but if I get a chance to check it out I will let you know.

Manta

Last edited by MantaBase on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:28 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

These type of OEM wheels or the Torq Thrust style commonly used back then? I like the Torq Thrust on a PC mod, but will be HARD to find large enough.

Grump pointed out RC wheels from Associated, but they have a small selection. How about wheels for the TMAXX as it's very popular?
Like this one.

I'd also like to see a cobra style scoop on top as it's almost a signiture for Pony cars of the 60's. Now, the side scoops would be AWESOME if you could mold in the "C" channel somehow into the side, as that's also a signiture of a stang. How to do it? I dunno right off the bat.

I also love the corral and think it should be used. Not really with the corral that came on the actual grill because they're huge (68's were the smallest I think), but making one for YOUR grill. Use a side emblem and figure out an actual corral for it. Only the most hardcore will probably notice the pony running the wrong way...a test for the pony elite??

On that idea, fog lights spelled "GT", and if you want a GT, you'll have to have 'em. Fans are round...fans can have lights in them or behind them. Round fans come in many sizes :D

All this could be pulled off with a squatty little case rather than the common tower style.

If you really really really have some spare time, perhaps make the "cobra aircleaner" thing work as a HS lid or something. I think a little black ribbed oval pseudo-aircleaner would set that interior off!

Hugger blue? I have some hugger orange, but you really have to love orange dude :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:33 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Chumly wrote:
These type of OEM wheels or the Torq Thrust style commonly used back then? I like the Torq Thrust on a PC mod, but will be HARD to find large enough.

Here is a pic of the original
http://www.carmemories.com/cmem/Ford/Mu ... tangs/1965
Normally the center of the spokes is black - its a Fenton Design for a fake 10 spoke rim. That second one you posted was/is very popular (American Racing?)
I found a rim that was close to the orginal on the R/C site.

Quote:
I'd also like to see a cobra style scoop on top as it's almost a signiture for Pony cars of the 60's. Now, the side scoops would be AWESOME if you could mold in the "C" channel somehow into the side, as that's also a signiture of a stang. How to do it? I dunno right off the bat.

You guys are giving so many ideas I might have to make TWO cases. The one for my father needs to be simple. I'd love to make another with side scoops - maybe to sell.

Quote:
I also love the corral and think it should be used. Not really with the corral that came on the actual grill because they're huge (68's were the smallest I think), but making one for YOUR grill. Use a side emblem and figure out an actual corral for it. Only the most hardcore will probably notice the pony running the wrong way...a test for the pony elite??

Yeah - not sure how to make one though. They make the fender horse going both directions :) Scoops are going to be easy I think compared to grills

Quote:
On that idea, fog lights spelled "GT", and if you want a GT, you'll have to have 'em. Fans are round...fans can have lights in them or behind them. Round fans come in many sizes :D

I am sure I could craft a few small fog lights - I would have to think about that.

Quote:
All this could be pulled off with a squatty little case rather than the common tower style.

Thats a good idea to ponder, but the one for my father needs to be a tower.

Quote:
If you really really really have some spare time, perhaps make the "cobra aircleaner" thing work as a HS lid or something. I think a little black ribbed oval pseudo-aircleaner would set that interior off!

I already was thinking about that - under the top scoop, over the 120mm fan. I just need a modded fan grill, a cut up K$N motofilter, and some metel parts from large soup cans. It won't llok like the shelby or cobra air clearners, but it willl look like a ford mustang one.
Quote:
Hugger blue? I have some hugger orange, but you really have to love orange dude :D
[/quote]

For my dad I gotta stick with silver or white with red or blue detail.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:31 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Oh...umm...K&N makes itty bitty aircleaners! Even oval ones. I have to browse their site again, but I had used them in my nephew's little Jegster Rail with a Briggs & Stratton a few years back. Even kept one around for the idea of a car-mod as well, but probably tossed it along one of my moves.

Here's their "unique" page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:57 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Chumly wrote:
Oh...umm...K&N makes itty bitty aircleaners! Even oval ones. I have to browse their site again, but I had used them in my nephew's little Jegster Rail with a Briggs & Stratton a few years back. Even kept one around for the idea of a car-mod as well, but probably tossed it along one of my moves.

Here's their "unique" page

RC-5010 looks useful, but too big for this mod.

Damn, I wish I had money and a shop right now. I have ideas for two mods now. Add rocket mod in and Sabre (cartoon jet plane) and I could do a few OCC episodes.

Oh yeah - I would need staff to yell at.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:04 am 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

http://www.powerpassion.nl/mustang/stuff/emblems.html

Here are some emblems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:12 am 
How about using that corral as a flip-down drive bay cover?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:14 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Kane wrote:
How about using that corral as a flip-down drive bay cover?

Its too heavy - and too big. But, I might be able to fabricate.