Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: external hard drive mod
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:27 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

The other day I decided to try my hand at making a clear plexiglass top for one of my old hard drives. Because that went so well, I figured I'd take it a step further and construct a plexiglass enclosure for it. I spent a whole day on this and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

It didn't occur to me to take pictures of the hard drive modding, but it was pretty simple. I performed it on an 80GB IDE Hitachi. I removed the screws that secured the metal cover of the hard drive and removed the cover. I immediately sealed the hard drive in a ziplock bag to protect it. Constructing the plexiglass top was simply a matter of tracing the outline of the metal cover onto a sheet of 1/8" plexi. Any thicker and I would have had to sink the screws (correct term...?). After that I clamped the metal cover to the sheet of plexi and used it as a guide to drill the screw holes.

Next came the task of connecting the hard drive to a computer. I had parts lying around and managed to scrape up an IDE usb controller as well as some hard drive heatsinks. As far as power went, I had to come up with something on my own. I found an ac adapter that provided 12v @ a max of 2A. Overkill, but it sufficed.

I need to stress that this was a one-day project. I used what I had and I made it work. Ideally, I would have done this with a SATA hard drive and connected it to a computer with a SATA --> ESATA cable, but I didn't have any of those.

As you know, the hard drive is powered off a 4-pin molex connector, which carries 12v, 5v, and two grounds. I constructed a voltage regulator circuit with a LM317T voltage regulator to provide the necessary 5v for the hard drive, the usb controller, and the LEDS. :wink:

Here is the newly modded hard drive being tested. You can see on the breadboard the voltage circuit that I constructed and the green PCB is the usb controller. The controller had a connection for a hdd activity light which I made use of.

Here I am trying to figure out how everything will be laid out in the enclosure, furnished completely from 1/8" plexi.

Here you can see what will be connected to the hard drive

This is my completed power circuit. I fastened not one, but two small heatsinks to the voltage regulator but it still got quite warm, so I decided to include a small fan, which works very well at keeping it cool.

This is everything being final tested. Two red LEDS indicate hdd activity while the blue and green are just for show.

Building the box was the most time consuming part of this project. Out of impatience I used hot glue to put everything together, except for the top panel, which is secured with nuts.

I cut the plexi with a dremel. This went much more easily than expected, perhaps because I'm used to working with 1/4" plexi. The dremel cut the plexi like butter on fairly high speed with the standard cutting discs. There was some melting as well as broken discs but in the end it went faster than cutting on low speed. I cleaned up all the cuts by hand with 120 grit sandpaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

That sir, is awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:35 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

most impressive- where's you get those plexiglass skillz from? I could use some for my own ongoing case mod. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:52 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Thanks- as far as plexiglass goes, using the thinner types (i.e. 1/8") makes it a lot easier to work with. When cutting, I sandwiched the plexi between two pieces of wood (but not where I was cutting, that was exposed) and clamped it down. I went slowly and was just careful to cut straight lines.

Drilling was a challenge, and I actually cracked part of the base when I was drilling. I found that the trick is to drill on a high speed, and do it on top of a piece of wood. And clamp the plexi down... it can snap if you let it flex.

That's my take, anyways. Thanks for the kind praise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:00 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Thats a dam cool and unique mod!

I like the pictures of it glowing in the dark. That will be a conversation piece if you ever bring it to a lan party :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:07 am 
Klamath
Klamath

The clear(ish) hot glue loooks pretty sweet. It looks much better than using metal fasteners would of been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:37 am 

My old chassis was made of Plexi glass and used the same leds on all the fans. Actually that basically looks like a mini version of it :D . Very nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 am 
Willamette
Willamette

cool beans :D