Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Questions on doing my first mod
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm getting ready to make the jump into modding. I've done quite a bit of research, but still have a few questions for modding my Antec 300.

1. I have some of the adhesive cable mounting brackets inside the chassis that I'll need to remove. What is the best way to remove that stubborn adhesive?

2. I will also be painting the inside and back side of the chassis. These appear to be unpainted- should I still do a light sanding w/ a fine grit paper before priming?

3. I will be putting in a side window as well. Is it possible to do this strictly w/ a dremmel (model 300)? I dont own a jigsaw, and would prefer to not buy one if its possible to get by without one.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:42 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

1. Little bit of WD-40 on a rag, and a little rubbing, or some Goo-B-Gone.

2. Yes. Light sanding is always good, even if it's not painted. Also, it's a good idea to do a light solvent wipe before you paint as well, to get those spots the paper can't reach.

3. Yes, it IS possible to do this with a Dremel only, but it will be rather difficult. I hope you have a lot of cutting disks, and some patience. The best way to do it, IMO, is to trace the outline of your window, and cut JUST INSIDE that line with your dremel, and then hand finish the rest with files and sand paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:05 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanks for the quick answers! I do plan to buy plenty of extra cutting disks, and take my time with the cut, doing several light passes, and taking frequent breaks to avoid overheating. I definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) have the patience- and have more time than money for a jigsaw at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:09 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I did not type the part in parenthesis about the correct spelling-but it showed up in my post, whats up with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:12 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

You spelled definitely wrong. It's one of those forum quirks that we have here, it's a long running joke. You spell it wrong, and it corrects it for you and inserts that text.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Ahh right on. I ordered a sheet of neon green plexi from mcmaster.com, so the wheels are in motion for the mod. Unfortunately my camera is on the fritz, and repairing it is low priority right now, otherwise I would post progress on it.
I'll be sure to at least post the finished product, which realistically will be around the end of the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:22 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Sweet!