Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wooden PC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:14 pm 

ok, im building this comp out of old computer parts, and ones from other ppls computers. i got it built right now with a AMD 600 MHz, 384 MB ram, Nvidia RIVA TNT 2, 80 GB HD, 52x CD burner, soon DVD-ROM drive hopefully, and its loaded with windows XP media center edition 2005. i want to put it in a wooden case. i have some plans for it already - i want to use this switch as the power switch
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F002&product%5Fid=275%2D1566
i want to paint it black, and put red cold cathodes on the sides of it with the switch mounted in front

so does anyone have any suggestion for it, and does anyone know anything special i could use for it like a certain type of wood, and what tools you think i would have to use

thanks in advanced, im not sure if this is the wrong forum, im new

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You're in the right forum, OffRoader23, welcome.

I'm not sure I understand -- you want to build a chassis out of wood, but you want to paint it? If that's what you meant, you could use just about any wood or wood product, like particleboard.

There have been a few modding projects using wood to build the case. I have a project on hold that is part 1985 NeXT Cube and part Cherry wood. I don't have any links to any of the mods, but there are a few companies that make wooden computers or peripherals that you might get some ideas from.

TechStyle
Wood Contour
Exotic Wood Crafts

I deal with wood on a regular basis in my business, but it's all flooring. I might be able to offer some suggestions or a little advice though, so let's hear more about what you have in mind.

Grump, The Mad Modder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

yeah offroader welcome, i think its a dumb idea to run a computer in wood, basicly because its a fire hazard because the cpu produces temps to ignite wood, well your gona want to drill holes for fans (if its enclosed) (u can get maximum flow since u make it urself) ur gona prob wana use mobo mounting screws so ur gona need to find the exact location for all 6, drill piolet holes screw them in (you dont wana mount the mobo to direct wood even tho is not conductive it cant be good)

ur prob gona want to cut out a drive bay for the cd rom,

u can mount an hd sideways but ud need to fab up a bracket possably, and u dont want to put the underside directly to the wood, ud want some kind some ventalation, psu, no idea how u wana mount it unless u wana mount it hanging over the mobo (i am basicly thinking of this case as desktop AT/ATX style,) but ud need to cut a hole for fan vent and power connector and the wood would need to be think enuff to suport the hd,

tools for this, drill, i think u could use a resipricating saw for the holes n stuff but im not sure how perfect u could get with it, a dremmel if you want presision

o yeah a cool mod would be one of thoes radioshack 4.75 in case fans (or whatever there used for ) there fkin massive! i was in radioshack today, they run like 3000 rpm for a fan thats bigger than 120 mm thats flowzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:02 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Wood has to be heated enough that the moisture in the wood evaporates. This is done at 212F and above. After moisture is driven from the wood and the heat raises the temperature of the wood above 540° F, the second stage of combustion takes place.

Even the hottest cpus won't reach 212F (or at least shouldn't) not to mention the 540F need for cumbustion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:17 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I thought about doing this before, because wood is so easy to work with.
One idea I didn't try - Staining the wood with UV reactive paint and tehn putting external uv cathodes on the outside to make it look cool, I have no idea if this would work, but it would be cool :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:16 pm 

well thanks for all the ideas, ya i want to design it sort of like an ATX case, but i want to hot glue or wood glue the drives down (non-upgradeable) and the hard drive Image

sry about the crappy comp pic, i didnt have my digicam

this is the comp so far, (case-less) i have a rigged power button, its gonna be upgraded from what it is now to what it says
392 MHz P2 ->600 MHz AMD
4 GB SeaGate ->80 GB WD
52x CD-Burner ->Keep
50x CD-ROM ->8x DVD-ROM
HP PSU ->A Better one (with LONGER CHORDS!)
load with windows media center edition - plan on keeping that on there

now, OBVIOUSLY! anyone can tell this computer isnt very fast lol
im just putting it together so when i finally get it together i can use it as a music center/DVD-player for in my room. i think once it gets done it will be one awesomd DVD-player hehe, gona put my 17 GB of musics and movies on it too for my own private viewing/listening, possibly put a handle on to take it where i want

i have to plan quite a bit, and ive been starting, and im gonna go for black with red cold cathodes or at least an LED fan

planning on getting about 4 - 80 MM fans and planning to put the top on hinges and a lock so i can easily open and close it

thanks for the welcome, and ill keep you all posted as to how my project is going (if i DO chose to do it), i really want to but materials and money may stop me from getting a TV card or all in wonder with a TV out

Edit: i want to stealth the drives with the blocks i cut out for the CD drives but just the tray part, and take the covers off (sort of like xbox dvd drives :P) and paint those black too but i know the drives inside will be white but it doesnt matter you wont see those