Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: suggestions for a simple case mod
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:50 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I have the Logisys Case-51W, which, although a somewhat cheap case, has given me exceptional results- the only thing holding it back is that is has no fan on top to blow the hot air out of the top- how could I go about cutting a vent in the top that can accommodate a 120mm fan? also, would a standard drill bit work for drilling holes in the motherboard plate?
thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:17 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You can get fancy, or plain simple.

Simple:
Just cutting a hole. You can place the fan exactly where you want it and use a fine-tipped sharpie to trace out the inside of the fan. Then just cut a round hole that fits inside all the edges.

I lucked out by purchasing a nice knock-out kit and some large hole-saws at one period of time. Knockouts are just big punches really. You get a starter hole, sandwich the metal with the two pieces, and then you crank down on a threaded bolt, and it shears a very nice and perfect hole. Holesaws are obvious, but can be just as expensive in these sizes, and leave sharp edges that need knocked down with a curved-face finishing file.

However, it isn't so simple if you don't have either of these available. Making a round hole just takes some patience. So a more simple idea would be to make a square hole instead of a round one. Again, just making sure the square is smaller than all points of the fan's shroud/frame.

The holes really could use some modder's mesh though. You can just epoxy that to the underside of the case, or pinch it with the fan. Coolermaster has a great little idea for their original stacker's blow hole, but seems pretty complicated to form. It's a box made of mesh that holds the fan. It needs standoffs in order for it to work though.
I've tried to copy that, but is just a pain to get right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:05 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

thanks for the reply- I guess I'll check if some of the people I know with a lot of tools have a knockout or hole-saw, and if not, try the square- or maybe cutting an octagon would be doable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:01 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Spartacus wrote:
...or maybe cutting an octagon would be doable?
Ok, then cut a round hole. Got it? Cool. Done. Cutting a round hole is the ulitmate mod...have at it.
Spartacus wrote:
would a standard drill bit work for drilling holes in the motherboard plate?
You can't drill through metals with a drill either then, only paper. And metal can't bend. Not even mesh. It's impossible. :roll:

You didn't count me as a friend? I've loaned tools before, and I've done work before for random forum members. Sarcasm. Great. That's the team spirit.

Cut a round hole. I can't help you if you don't have a single tool. If you have a better idea of making holes in metal, tell me. I'd love to have super powers.

What do you have to work with to try to make a vent? Crayons? Look, jigsaw, holesaw, doorjib, knockout...you gotta have something to do this. Mods aren't just a wiggle of the nose and a head nod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:21 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Oh sarcasm, what would I do without you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:52 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

oh, well thanks for that great advice for a noob trying to get help. I just got a new kit of crayons to cut holes with.
you know, when you're 17, its hard to get money to have this extensive collection of weird tools- sorry I don't have a full-time job while I'm in school. I was just trying to start off with a simple case mod, so please just bear with me.
not mention I wasn't being sarcastic in that first reply- so I don't know where you came from there- I honestly do know people who would probably lend me a knockout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:55 pm 

Ya know, when I was 17, my first mod was a blowhole and some case painting :-)

Quote:
also, would a standard drill bit work for drilling holes in the motherboard plate

Technically... yes. However, if you are using a normal power drill, you won't get a clean, round, cut. It will be jagged. Also the jaggies might catch on the drill. Then the drill would pick up your plate and start spinning it very quickly. And if the plate has a sharp edge, you might hurt yourself, say your left pointer finger might get slashed (trust me :shock: )

- I know money is tight, but I would suggest getting a Dremel tool. You could prolly do your entire mod with a dremel and the right bits/accessories.

- you can make a circle/square/anything on your computer and print it out. Use that to trace the shape on your rig before cutting.

- Also at the modding sites, you can buy some edging (black rubber, faux Al, etc) to place around the hole. That way it hides any imperfections and the hole isn't razor sharp :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:16 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'm sorry for the sarcasm, but what do we want to do here? We all need to get you to cut a hole of some fashion for a fan. And it has to be done with some sort of tools beside the only mentioned tool: the drill bit.

We also want need to talk about how to go about doing so simply, and cheaply. I just don't think snapping back with "octagon" was the best method of progress in your quest. Ain't mine. I'll cut holes all day. I'll even do a couple Octagons, left handed, just for kicks ;)
Chumly wrote:
However, it isn't so simple if you don't have either of these available. Making a round hole just takes some patience. So a more simple idea would be to make a square hole instead of a round one. Again, just making sure the square is smaller than all points of the fan's shroud/frame.
I really don't know how to tell you how to cut a nice round hole without A) the perfect tool for one-shot/one-kill B) an eye for cutting a good hole, and then patience and the artistic ability to finish out the hole with a file.

So I mention a square hole.

Either way, you gotta have a tool to break steal You're not going to cut any hole 20mm and above with drill bits. Modding isn't just having the idea. It's doing it, and we're all working with materials we can't form by hands alone.

I'm a tool guy. I spent my money mowing lawns on Snap-On chests and hand-tools. And that was 15 man. It's relative. I wasn't in this computer modding back then, but had tools for the long haul and could cut a hole. To be specific, I bought those punches when I was 15 and 2 months short of graduating HS. Got them through the machine shop vendor that came by every month. Age to have tools? I gave a 3yo a cresent wrench this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

well, I'll look into a knockout then- and I was talking about the drill bit for something else- I wanted to drill small holes in the top of my mobo plate so I could zip-tie the mess of cables down, not for the fan. sorry about not being clear on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:38 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

And I played Mr.Obvious with the drill bit. They go through 2" of Cast Iron if you've got the time. I can't imagine a drill bit being an issue with 1/16th" mild steel.

MCP posted some templates you can use for cutting 120mm fan holes for radiators. They can be adapted to just cut holes for fans too.

Round holes cut round are still hard to do by hand. Square is more easy IMO and done with a ruler and a jigsaw. Holesaw with a metal tooth and some need to work your arms out.

Are you in St. Louis, MO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:48 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

yeah... you stalker!
lol, a guess?