Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need a new case!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:29 pm 

Hi all, I've been working on this prob for a while now and have been unsuccessful in getting solutions or answers.
I've recently upgraded my psu and a few other things. The psu has now presented a new problem. It came with a few new wires that aren't currently being used. They are, however, crowding the case. I just can't seem to move the wires out of the way. They are rather stiff and thick. The psu is a perfect fit as I ordered it from pcpowercooling and it was the only one available at this level. I have an 8200 Dell Dimension "clam shell" case. I do not feel comfortable closing it. I cannot see what is going on when closing it. I just upgraded the rdram and it is very expensive. I'm not in the mood to break them or anything else of course. I've thought about cutting out the side and putting a window in, but I would rather buy a case with a door and be able to see inside while comp is running. Wouldn't mind having more than just a psu and hsf blowing out hot air.
My other concern is the front panel. Do I find a case with similiar connections, desolder the old ones and then solder them to the new case? Not sure about cable lengths and to how to determine if mine will be long enough for the new case. If one of you were in my shoes, how would you go about solving this worst case scenario? Just leave it open? ugh! Takes up space. Kind of an eyesore. What specifications should I be looking for? I've posted a link to some pics. Have no fear, as these pics don't go over 58k. Hope these help. http://webpages.charter.net/wardrobe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:37 am 
Team Member
Team Member

No offense to Dell, but, they have the most crowded, unorganized, peice of crap cases I have ever seen in my life. But, that's just my opinion.

Ditch that peice of crap case and upgrade to somethin with a bit more room. I'd go Cooler Master (maybe a Wave Master Or a Stacker) or you could go Dynex, which is cheap and very moddable, if your into that. Take a look around on Newegg and see what you can find that you like. It's really your decision. Have fun!

P.S.: It's nice to see another of my kind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:55 pm 

We teh Wabbit Clan! Woot! Thanks for the reply. You're about the only one that's really given me some tangible options. Was wondering about the usb 2 ports. Mine has usb 1.1, will that be a problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

most likely yes. unless the motherboard of that system supports it, the USB ports will not work on 2.0 USB. I can't remember if they are backwards compatible. maybe someone else knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:12 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Another thing I have heard about Dell systems is that just about everything is proprietary - even the case and mobo. I thought about reusing an old dell case I have but was told to forget it. The back plate is designed solely for a Dell board.

Maybe it is possible to reuse the back plate on whatever case you choose. I'm not sure.

For your cables you could consider rounded cables that might be easier to get out of the way before you close up the case.

As for cases, there are a few great cases out there but some are pricey. If you post your budget maybe more folks will pipe up. At the moment I am running a Thremaltake XaserIII case v100A with a window. Not a bad case but I wouldn't say it is the greatest case.

WhiteRabbit - NewEgg did not come up with a Dynex case. Is this the case you were looking at?
Dynex ATX Mid-Tower Case - Silver/ Black - DX-350CC (DX350CC)
I tried your link in another post but it didn't work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:13 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Dell's cases are hell to work in. When you get a new case it'll come with all new front panel LEDs and switches with wires you just have to plug into the mobo, no desoldering required. (all of the connections are standard, so you don't need to worry)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Snafu wrote:
WhiteRabbit - NewEgg did not come up with a Dynex case. Is this the case you were looking at?
Dynex ATX Mid-Tower Case - Silver/ Black - DX-350CC (DX350CC)
I tried your link in another post but it didn't work for me.

No, thats not the case I was talking about. This is. It's the DX-500CC. Not sure why the link wouldn't work for ya. :?
I found it at Best Buy. I know, I hate Best Buy for computer parts, but this was a decent case. I bought it and I'm happy with it. It's very moddable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:52 pm 

You guys are awesome. Someone else brought up the point that Dell's boards are proprietory. I'm gonna look in and see if I can remove the tray with the board. I'm sure I can mount the old tray to the new tray. I'm willing to spend from 100 to 200 on a case. It's really about the fit not so much the look. I don't even want to make the clamshell work. Every day goes by and I hate it even more. I'll post some pics/links of cases that I'm interested in later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:49 am 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=dim_upghw

Check here before you buy a case. I believe the mobo on your system will not fit a standard ATX case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:54 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

That is one scarey read in that link :shock:

It looks like a lot on a Dell is proprietary. I am awed that xxwabbit even got the ATX compliant PSU to run the Dell mobo.

Might be better off picking up a new mobo and case and try to reuse the ram (CL3) video, sound and any other cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:04 am 

The psu he bought is made special for the Dell. Standard psu will work but you have to cut a hole in the back of the case for the switch which the Dell psu doesn't have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:45 pm 

Ya I got the specific upgrade from pcpowercooling. Nice psu. Thanks for the link. I already have that link and have gotten some usefulness out of it. I have found some people with same situation, but have found no one that has done the switch. SpongeBobSquarePants (he's a regular there) has his own site, specifically for the Dimensoin 8200, and it is very useful for upgrading. But, I have emailed him and he says he can't help. So far, I'm getting the feeling that I will just have to dive in and see what happens. I work in a machine shop, so I know that anything is possible. If anything, at least I have a new case that I can build a new system if it is indeed impossible. Here's some links to a few cases:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 089&DEPA=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 057&DEPA=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 148&DEPA=1

This is my first system and have learned a valuable lesson: build your own :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:27 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

You could open up the PSU and remove the extra wires and buy some Molex connectors and pins to shorten the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:56 pm 

I appreciate your reply and I think it would be an option. But I'm not interested in this case. I'm ready to take on a project that may or may not work. If it doesn't work, then I may have to use that option. After all the replys, I feel a little more confident in tackling this stone in my shoe. Now it's just a matter of choosing a case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:13 am 

I would advise against opening then psu unless you know what your doing, there is lethal power in the capacitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:47 pm 

I'm starting to like this case. Whatcha guys think? Is it overkill?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-144-089&DEPA=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:15 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Perhaps a little. IMO, it's nothing more than an old Dragon with a new bezel...kinda overpriced.

Have you checked out ThermalTake's VA3000 Dream? It's bit cheaper, and offers up a little more class in my book.

If you like that added flare, but pulled off a little more tastefully; the VA7000SWA Shark looks like a pretty sweet case right out of the box. Kinda has that Combine wall thing going on in the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:54 am 
Team Member
Team Member

The shark is a real masterpeice of a case IMO. I had the chance to swing by Fry's Electronics this weekend and see one of those cases. The are amazing. get it in black if you can is my suggestion. If you want it that is...