Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mod Power button on Antec Sonata III case
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:52 am 

I have an Antec Sonata III 500 case that houses the power button and reset button behind a door. I will have to open the door every time I want to power up or reset the computer. see
CLOSED door : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=8056
OPEN door: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=8057 and

I am looking for ideas on how to make it so I do not have to open the door to turn the computer on or off through the door.

I know I could just drill a hole in the door big enough to put my fat fingers through, but I was looking to somehow improve on that. Also, I don't want to "just remove the door". FYI: I have a woodworking workshop (no metal fab).

I remember an article on something like this in Max Pc (I think) sometime ago, but could not find it.

I'm sure other people have had a similar problem. How did you solve it? Any pictures/ instructions?

Thanks Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:21 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Well I think the first thing to understand is that both the front panel ON pushbutton and the front panel RST pushbutton are what are called NO (Normally Open) momentary pushbuttons. Just means the pushbuttons only close a circuit when pushed and the duration they are pushed.

Damnit, more later company.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:43 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

OK, as I was saying you only need to decide where you want to mount a button switch. Actually the added switch can be quite small. You would leave the existing button in place and simply with a short run of wire place the added button(s) in parallel with the existing buttons where they connect to the motherboard.

THIS is a typical example of a switch that could be used and there are literally dozens in assorted sizes, shapes and colors.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:24 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Adding a button is a lot more simple that what I was thinking! Great idea man.

I was thinking of a button extension. You know, like in motor controllers with the big red reset button? It's just a springing button with a stick on the back. Push it, it pushes the overload resets (here, the power button under the door.

If you don't use those speaker jacks, I've turned those into CD eject and power buttons before...
ImageImage
LOL...but ya, just adding a new button is the easiest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:45 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

A few weeks ago I was wandering aimlessly (as I generally do) in a local Micro Center and saw one of these kits for about six bucks so I snagged it. What the hell, it may come in handy. The kit can be easily used for a number of mods.

Ron