Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Oak computer case
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:37 pm 

Here is something new guys, I've made it in my work shop. It has a metal skeleton everything else is clear or and stained oak. Now you can put something like this in your living room and your wife in not going to complain about ruined interior. I have my old Pentium 4 inside no it's nothing special on the inside. Here is one image the rest is on this website. http://borysatwork.info/case/Case.html

P.S. Don't blame me for the wiring I know it's horrible enough.

Thank you for viewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:03 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Welcome to the MPC Forums!

Now that is pretty slick. Really nice job with it. So what you have is a $100 computer in a $500 piece of furniture. :)

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:03 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Did you build the wire frame or did you buy. I would love to have a just a wire frame to put my PC in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:11 am 

Reloadron wrote:
Welcome to the MPC Forums!

Now that is pretty slick. Really nice job with it. So what you have is a $100 computer in a $500 piece of furniture. :)

Ron

Well it's not that bad, but it's Pentium 4 2.4@2.88 with Radeon 9800XT and 750Gb of space :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:16 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Just a suggestion but you really need to create actual thumbnails for your pictures not just re-size the large ones. They still have to fully download. Even over a broadband connection your site loads WAY too slowly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:29 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Your wife may not make comment to the ruining of the interior but I'm sure something like this was said:

"So let me get this straight, you spent "such and such" hours building a stupid wood thingy for the computer instead of reshingling the house"

haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:22 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You picked a great cut of wood for the top! It has that knurl look I'm not use to in oak all that much. That's usually saved for awesome tabletops, and comes from right under a branch. That's a compliment BTW!

I love oak, and love to see work in it. Was the white oak on the front for contrast? That's some hard wood to work with, literally and figuratively.

Hey, how'd you toenail the edging around the top? Just brad nail it and putty it or glue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:22 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Very, very nice... And yea Chumly you're spot on about the cut of wood used. I did some work for a high-end boatbuilder and they'd always try to get cuts of teak & cherry that had that kind of "marbled" effect to them 'cause it looks real nice after being stained & varnished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:04 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Just noticed the side too. Is that wicker or lattice?? Can't tell, but it may even look like a clover or Maltese pattern in there.
---------------
My grandfather made all my bedroom furniture and assorted desks and end-tables in white oak. Moving time is teh suck. Some are afraid to help because they've smashed a toe or finger in the process :?

Wood is just awesome, no matter what you make of it. A router and a table saw, and a guy can get pretty creative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:15 pm 

Chumly wrote:
You picked a great cut of wood for the top! It has that knurl look I'm not use to in oak all that much. That's usually saved for awesome tabletops, and comes from right under a branch. That's a compliment BTW!

I love oak, and love to see work in it. Was the white oak on the front for contrast? That's some hard wood to work with, literally and figuratively.

Hey, how'd you toenail the edging around the top? Just brad nail it and putty it or glue?

Thank you very much I like oak too, I just picked golden oak because I know it's a good contrast with that mahogany color.
The plywood is 1/2 inch thick + chair rail about 3/8 so I just nailed that edging molding. Some glue as well for some durability =) This is memorable piece of work so I've tried to make it nice. All the moldings are nailed with 23 gauge pin nailer. The DVD rom door is on the liquid cement.

The hardest work was to pre-finish all the parts (stains and lacquer) before putting everything together.

Chumly wrote:
Just noticed the side too. Is that wicker or lattice?? Can't tell, but it may even look like a clover or Maltese pattern in there.
---------------
My grandfather made all my bedroom furniture and assorted desks and end-tables in white oak. Moving time is teh suck. Some are afraid to help because they've smashed a toe or finger in the process :?

Wood is just awesome, no matter what you make of it. A router and a table saw, and a guy can get pretty creative.

Side is just a metal grill, all holes so my case can breathe better, wood is not a good heat sink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Thank you for making a wood case. I'm sentimental about wood, just about as much as I am with my cars. I'm left some Virgin Kansas wood, and ya really gotta make something out of that, or just leave it alone. I might spare some dashboard for it, but not fitting for PC's yet. I'll work on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:21 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

You got pictures of the inside of it for our viewing pleasure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:52 am 

RW wrote:
You got pictures of the inside of it for our viewing pleasure?

It does not look to good on the inside, maybe my next build I'll do some better wiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:00 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I'm more curious as to how you setup your various components. I'm going to be starting a wooden case of my own and was just wanting to get some ideas on how you did yours.